Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dongles >
  • Dongles

• Dongles

Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    First time I heard of this animal. I don't have a clue! My educated guess would be a dangle whose angle is done gone.
    That is toooo funny!!
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 AM

This is the first time I have heard of a dongle having a shelf life. My frend has been using hers for a lot longer the 4 years. It also does not care about the sewing machine only the software on the computer.
    Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw
    This is the first time I have heard of a dongle having a shelf life. My frend has been using hers for a lot longer the 4 years. It also does not care about the sewing machine only the software on the computer.
    Agreed a dongle itself is a usb stick with no "shelf life" at all. Now a programmer can put an expiration date on the software that is installed on the stick.
    Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Non technically - it is like an "on" switch for certain software. As the programs "boots" (or starts up), the program looks to see if the dongle is plugged in. Some programs require it to be in the exact same USB place others are more forgiving. The program will not completely start with out it being in place. This eliminates the possibility for one person to purchase a piece of software and share it with friends.

One big causation, if you actually loose that dongle (such as in 5D), you may end up re-purchasing the complete program. Many developers will repair or replace a broken or non operating dongle but none that I know of will replace a lost dongle.
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 AM

I have a digitizing program for my Janome 10000 I believe the dongal prevents you from sharing this program it will not work without it. And don't ask any of the computer experts, like at Best Buy, they have never heard of this( at least the best buy I went to. And I not exacting sure if I'm right but mine is working now.
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 AM
    Power Poster

Joanne is correct, I have them for my viking software. Guard them with your life, no dongle, can not work with your software!!!!! Lost one a couple of years ago and had to purchase a whole new software package!!!!!
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Ok, I have the Viking Ruby, and I installed the 5D Pro onto my laptop but to be able to use the software to create, etc I have to have the dongle plugged into my USB port. This tells the computer what version of software I have and what additional modules I have bought to go with it. It doesn't connect to my machine only the USB port on my pc. Without this dongle I can do nothing with my software. I can install my software onto another pc but if I don't have the dongle plugged in I can' use it. I hope this helps you understand what mine is.
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​I was surprised to learn that dongles have a shelf life just like other computer devices. I think it was 3-4 years or until you damage it?
    I've not heard of this. I know that my instructor (I have 5D pro) says alot of people out there still use 3D and that's been out for a while now. Maybe it's only with certain companies that they put a time line on it.
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by baywinds
    JoanneS, Thank you. That is a very clear and concise answer. And I was tickled to see you have the Pfaff 5D software. I have the 4D, that I don't know at all, my machine is the Creative 2134, 5 years old/new; and I just never got around to learning the embroidery... I have just used my machine for sewing and quilting..but now I want to give it a go, and have been dinking around it. I am going into the dealer next week to get reacquainted with it, and I know they will want to talk me into upgrading.Probably both machine and software. Any information I should know as to "need"??
    Thanks again
    I have the 5D pro but unless you really want to upgrade I'd tell them that you want to see how into embroidery you'll get before you look at spending any more money. A lot of people still use 4D and some use 3D. I'm not sure what version you have since there are 3 but since you've had your machine for this many years without using it I wouldn't worry about upgrading unless you find yourself getting into it. I bought my machine last Sept and just now when Viking had a great sale of the software I bought it. I started off thinking that I would get the middle version and that would be enough until the Viking educator started showing us all of the things Pro could do extra and with the price I went with the pro. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. I really like embroidery.
    Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM

THanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to this new adveture.
    Susan