Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dongles >
  • Dongles

• Dongles

Old 07-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler
    Thanks for the explanation, I have a Viking Designer SE w/Dongle, didn't really understand the whole concept - now I know!
    What software package do you have? Is it the 3D or the 4D? Either one will require the dongle to be in the USB port before you can use the embroidery software. You can access the organizer without the dongle; this is what is included with the machine when you orginally buy it so that you can store/see your designs. Then for those who use the USB to transfer designs we also have a USB device that goes into the side of our machine. The dongle never goes into our machine; just the pc.
    Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mighty
    Joanne is correct, I have them for my viking software. Guard them with your life, no dongle, can not work with your software!!!!! Lost one a couple of years ago and had to purchase a whole new software package!!!!!
    My dealer/instructor recently told us that she talked to her insurance agent and was told to include the software and machine on her house hold policy because it isn't automatically included due to the type of machine it is. So this week that is what I'm going to do is add it to my policy; it can be expensive for the machine and the software to be replaced.
    Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM

I thought a dongle was just a pfaff ( or Viking) term till I saw the recent commercial ( I forget what it was for ) where there's a meeting and everyone forgot to bring a dongle. Guess its a software term!
    Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    Do you have the 4D that came with your machine or did you purchase it separtely. The one that comes with the machine doesnt require a dongle; it's only when you purchase the software editing software that you need a dongle to access it. There is a difference in supporting a software package and not allowing you to use it. Microsoft only supports it's operating systems for a certain amount of yrs but you can still use them. They no longer support XP but I still have a laptop with it on it and it works great. I think this is where the confusion might be. Supporting verses not being allowed to use it any longer. I don't know but I'll ask my dealer this week when I see her.
    Judy, thanks for this information. I was pretty sure I purchased it separately, but it may just be the Assistant, because I can access what I have put on my laptop (also an XP system), but when I attempted to move the designs from the laptop files to the Smartcard, I got a message that I didn't understand, and when I put the SmartCard into the machine, it says there are no files on the card. So I got frustrated, and just made an appt with the dealer for this Thursday, which I am looking forward to....I think...unless it's going to cost me...then I'll be very disappointed. I guess I better go up and check out what I think I have and what I actually have, and what I thought I had.
    But the thread has been very helpful in understanding what is what, and what to expect at my dealer.Thanks for explaining. If I could, I'll PM you after I search my paperwork/computer and go to the dealer.
    Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Designer I, and have been told I should have a "dongle" for it. I have looked high and low and cannot find it--especially since I am not real sure I know what I should try to lay my hands on. This to Toni C....any other suggestions?
    Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by baywinds
    Judy, thanks for this information. I was pretty sure I purchased it separately, but it may just be the Assistant, because I can access what I have put on my laptop (also an XP system), but when I attempted to move the designs from the laptop files to the Smartcard, I got a message that I didn't understand, and when I put the SmartCard into the machine, it says there are no files on the card. So I got frustrated, and just made an appt with the dealer for this Thursday, which I am looking forward to....I think...unless it's going to cost me...then I'll be very disappointed. I guess I better go up and check out what I think I have and what I actually have, and what I thought I had.
    But the thread has been very helpful in understanding what is what, and what to expect at my dealer.Thanks for explaining. If I could, I'll PM you after I search my paperwork/computer and go to the dealer.
    You can PM me any time. It sounds like you need a card reader. The pc isn't made to read the cards only USB's. I know that around here the card readers are around a couple of hundred. I had orginally bought one to use on my Viking #1 and then found out it wouldn't work with it. So I bought the Amazing black box for 150 that reads different cards, then found out the software for it didn't like anything past XP. Lucky for me that my son still had my old laptop with XP on it and he wasn't using it anymore. I bought a new power cord and battery and was good to go. Then found out I couldn't get my Viking #1 to sew right and sent it back to the seller to get if fixed (I got a 2yr warranty on it). In the mean time I bought a Ruby, 2nd hand from my dealer. Only 7 hours on it but a great price w/warranty and classes. So now I'm selling my #1 and black box. So as you can see I got my education the hard way, thru alot of trials and tribulations. There is a website sewmuch4retirement.com that offers alot of help for Vikings; especially the older ones. I bought the CD for my #1 and it was really easy to follow. It might help to check out some of the tips, etc on it. Good luck with your dealer. I hope you can get it all going because I've only been embroiderying since Sept and I'm loving it. I'm going this week for a special 1 on 1 with my teacher to learn to do some digitizing with my 5D Pro. I love doing the cutwork needles which is something all of the machines will do. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Long story short I bought a Brother embroidery machine in 2001 and Palette software (Babylock). My dongle is a parallel port connector. Newer computers do not have a parallel port! I am going to add a parallel port to my Vista machine and plan to downgrade to xp so I can use my software. It is an extra machine my son rebuilt. These programs are to expensive to become out of date right after you buy them.
    Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

I stand corrected by the wise computer gurus on QB. Apparently I must have misunderstood my Bernina dealer when they said the 3-4 years for the dongle. Mea Culpa! This topic has sparked some good info for this computer challenged person.
    Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Mine works fine as long as I keep my computer with XP up and running...
    Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter
    Long story short I bought a Brother embroidery machine in 2001 and Palette software (Babylock). My dongle is a parallel port connector. Newer computers do not have a parallel port! I am going to add a parallel port to my Vista machine and plan to downgrade to xp so I can use my software. It is an extra machine my son rebuilt. These programs are to expensive to become out of date right after you buy them.
    Amen to that...