"Industrial" machine?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MichaelB
Thanks, Candace. If I want to go industrial, what should I look for?
Take any thread and fabric samples to test on any machine. If you're planning on using specific types of fabric and thread in a business type setting, it makes sense to try out your materials. There are many industrials on the market. It really depends on what you plan on sewing and what features you'll need.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

I have one - anybody near Indy?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 AM

You have one of what?

I think I found a Consew 99R. Looks like a nice industrial. Anybody have any experience with one of these?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Michael, I just googled [Singer 457A] for a lady and it has many referrals of industrial machines. At least you can look and read about them if you are just starting to look.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MichaelB
You have one of what?

I think I found a Consew 99R. Looks like a nice industrial. Anybody have any experience with one of these?
Micheal,

Excellent machine, this is what I was talking about. If it is in good shape you will be pleased with it.

Does it come with the table and motor? Any extras....bobbins, needles, oil can, extra feet?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

My sewing machine repair man in North Charleston SC restores a lot of industrial machines and sells them.
Palmetto Sewing in North Charleston.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM

I have the older industrial Singers without the reverse and on most items just bring the needle to the top and pull fabric back to restitch, or if the project is small enough just swing it around and back again. I love the capabilities that these machines afford me and since they are so old I was able to get for much less. The walking foot 111W155 I got for $150, had lots of cleaning to do on it but it fills my needs and more. I've made things with denim that are 8 layers thick as well as my dining room curtains with no problems. I do feel having a Servo motor on these machines have helped tremendously for control. My cousin has the newer Consew with reverse and feels the Servo motor would help him also. The walking foot machine now has a needle up positioning Servo motor and I am very happy with that decision also. The Singer 107W1 zig zag is another machine that I use all the time and found for $100. In my opinion reverse is a really nice option but not always a requirement depending on your projects. Everything depends on what or how many machines you would like to have. I started with one serger and now have 5 industrial machines that are set up all the time.

As I wasn't sure how much I would use the machine I gave up the reverse, that is not to say if I found a machine that was newer and cheap enough that I would not consider getting it and selling my other machine. Actually I have on several occasions but decided to stick with what I had. Most newer machines are $800 and up around here. Found all my machines on Craigslist and have learned patience is a very big plus.

Hope my two sense helped and doesn't confuse things for you! Get the best machine you can and I am sure you will not regret it.

Good Luck,
Lisa
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM

I have a friend that has 3 he is going sell any one interested pm me and I will give him your info I don't know any thing about them but if I had the room I would be interested myself. I will gain nothing by this nor do I have any thing to do with them other than connecting you to him for info.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM

All the input was greatly appreciated. I searched around for the brands recommended and found a Consew 99 for a reasonable price. It included two lamps and a magnifying glass, but was missing the foot pedal, which I'm sure I'll be able to rig up a replacement for. The motor runs great, the machine looks pretty clean, and I'm nearly ready to sew.

Only thing is: NOT SURE HOW TO SPOOL A BOBBIN!! There's a manual on the consew website, but the image for the bobbin winding is useless. Any ideas/suggestions? I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

http://thecraftorialist.com/2010/11/...bobbin-winder/
There maybe something on utube if this doesn't work