Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Should I buy this Bernina 831? >

Should I buy this Bernina 831?

Should I buy this Bernina 831?

Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​New feet for my Bernina cost about $50 each. Will the feet fit the machine you have? Might be worth it just for the feet.
There are old style feet, and new style feet, and the 831 uses the old style feet, though adapters can be used for both types.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:28 AM

Thanks everyone for sharing your toughts. I have an appointment tomorrow with the seller. I feel I should at least try it. Problem with vintage sewing machine is you can't go to a store, try several and choose the one you like the most
;-)
Dan is right, it don't have any of the decorative stitches of the 730 or 830. But I have a modern Viking for that. It's the machine I keep for fancy or specific tasks that are easier with a computerized machine. My Singer 15-91 is set up with cotton thread and 1/4 inch foot for piecing. The 707 have the binder attached on the bed. If I end up buying the 830, it will take the place of the 707 and this one will have to find a new home.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 AM

Profannie, Profannie, Profannie.

Hasn't anyone ever told you that going to "see" a sewing machine is about as good as going to "look" at puppies at the shelter? ;-)

Congrats in advance on what I am willing to bet is, by the time you read this, your newest machine. You will love it. :-)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 AM

Hehe, of course Cecilia. At least, the sewing machine don't look at you with big brown wet eyes if you decide to walk away because it need more than a few drop of oil!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Can you post a link to the binding attachment you use?

I have 5 vintage Berninas and can honestly tell you, that I only use about 4 stitches on them for quilting and my other sewing needs. All of these 4 or 5 stitches are on the minimatics and lighter weight models. I similarly have other machines with embroidery functions that I use if I ever need fancy stitch outs. And that's not very often.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM

Candace, it`s this attachment
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-SUISEI-TOP-BOTTOM-DOUBLE-FOLD-BIAS-TAPE-BINDER-Bernina-Quilt-Binding-A9S-/390619453234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9 9b3d04df9

There is some less expensive, but this one is exactly the same they sell for 3 times the price at Bernina retailers (I understand Susei is the japanese manufacturer for Bernina feet). It work great! Of course there is a learning curve (you have to go slow to be sure your tape doesn't get twist when it enter the binder, etc.) but I got good result to bind a blanket the first time I tried it. I hope to bind my next quilt with it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM

As I said; good priced Bernina are not showing up often.
This one just appear (sorry, it`s in french): 495$ and the seller explain it was her mother sewing machine. It has not be used for 15 years and she don't even know if it work.
http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-vendre-loisirs-artisanat-Machine-a-coudre-Bernina-730-avec-meuble-W0QQAdIdZ513403308

The 831 seems to be a better deal...
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the info. about the binder. Unfortunately, it doesn't do true, French double-fold binding, right? Or at least that's what people have said.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 AM

Unfortunately not. But it's useful to bind quickly and easily girl dresses, bibs, placemat, baby blanket... and those quilts you want to finished nicely and quickly (like a gift for a nephew whose birthday party is... in a few hours!)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Profannie, Profannie, Profannie.

Hasn't anyone ever told you that going to "see" a sewing machine is about as good as going to "look" at puppies at the shelter? ;-)

Congrats in advance on what I am willing to bet is, by the time you read this, your newest machine. You will love it. :-)
I so agree with this statement. Going to look at a machine means I have cash in hand to purchase said machine. Hopefully also have DH along for needed muscle to get it into my vehicle.