Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • hexagon quilts >
  • hexagon quilts

• hexagon quilts

Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 AM

I have no desire to do a hexagon quilt, but I applaud all of you that are
    Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 AM

Yesterday at a quilt show I adopted someones stash of hexies. Sorry to find out they are not very well sewn so I don't know if I need to restart or just put them away for someone else to deal with. Ugh!
    Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 AM

Do you have a friend or a shop that will cut them using one of the many cutting machines on the market. Big shot,aqueduct, go baby. They can also cut more than one at a time.
    Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 AM

I have 2 hexie projects going, one is a GR garden with 1 1/2" hexies. That one I will work on probably in my grave, I take a little box of them with me when I travel and knock off a few flowers. The other is a pattern called rose star, the center hexie I am using is about 3 1/2" and then you cut the hexies up to finish the star. I have about 5 completed so they go much faster then the small flowers. Plus I am using a moda glue stick to make the pieces before I hand sew. I saw that idea in Paducah. I decided to continue hand basting my fabric to my small hexies so before I croak I will have at least one totally hand quilted quilt!
    Old 09-22-2013, 05:43 AM
    Vat

There is a faster and easier way to make hexagons, there is a new book out called: Quick & Easy Hexie Quilts by Dr. Peggy G. Rhodes and Julia C Wood. AQS Publishing . This method starts with CIRCLES ! ! ! You might want to Google it and check it out. You might be surprized. You can also combine their method with your paper pieced one and make them work together.
    Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 AM

I am doing a GFG quilt with 1" hexies. I reuse the paper inserts when they are surrounded by new hexies. I have 65 "flowers" done, all different, and am in the process of putting white around each one (that is 12 hexies times 65). I will put them together with green pathway. I will wait until all of them are done, then lay them out for the pattern. Not sure how big this one will be, may have to make more. I like the project because it is portable, because it is hand sewn. Machine sewn hexies would not be portable, so I make use of the time my DGD is in swim class, etc. By the way, I started this one in March, when I first learned how to do it. And I hated hand sewing!!!!
    Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vat
    There is a faster and easier way to make hexagons, there is a new book out called: Quick & Easy Hexie Quilts by Dr. Peggy G. Rhodes and Julia C Wood. AQS Publishing . This method starts with CIRCLES ! ! ! You might want to Google it and check it out. You might be surprized. You can also combine their method with your paper pieced one and make them work together.
    I love this method!! After reading the book, I quickly adopted this method and I am really pleased with how it is going!! So easy! Particularly using my accuquilt 3 in circle die to gut out circles!!
    Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief
    I have 2 hexie projects going, one is a GR garden with 1 1/2" hexies. That one I will work on probably in my grave, I take a little box of them with me when I travel and knock off a few flowers. The other is a pattern called rose star, the center hexie I am using is about 3 1/2" and then you cut the hexies up to finish the star. I have about 5 completed so they go much faster then the small flowers. Plus I am using a moda glue stick to make the pieces before I hand sew. I saw that idea in Paducah. I decided to continue hand basting my fabric to my small hexies so before I croak I will have at least one totally hand quilted quilt!
    I have seen the tute for the Rose Star quilt block, Your quilt will be beautiful! Sure does look complicated!
    Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM

I have plastic templates and a stick to pop them out of the hexi when it is ironed before sewing to the others. Got them at a quilt shop years ago. Shop is closed now, bummer, because it was one of my favorites. They always had a very large selection of florals. I have bought half-yards of repro 20's and 30's fabrics to make the small hexis. I think the size I bought is 2 inches or maybe 1.5 inches I can't remember. Haven't started it yet though.
    Old 09-22-2013, 12:17 PM

I have a scrappy hexagon quilt almost finished and now I notice the smell of cat urine on it. Anyway I can save this quilt?