Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time? >
  • what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time?

• what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM
    Power Poster

Love your quilt! Gorgeous! Would love to see the whole quilt!
    Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM

My first free motion project was meandered. I am a big fan of puzzles so it came naturally to me and looked fantastic when I was done. Meandering just reminds me so much of puzzle pieces! I've since used stencils, sewn a pattern through paper, when I needed perfect placement I traced the pattern on tissue paper & sewed through that. Whatever works! No rules! :-)
    Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM
    Banned

These are my recommended FMQ motifs for practice.
    Attached Thumbnails free-motion-motifs-001.jpg  
    Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Once I started doing FMQ, it was many months before I liked how my stippling looked. I did much better wtih loops and either stars or hearts. Once I got that down, I noticed that my movements were more smooth and stippling looked better. There are ways to help disguise your little irregularities, such as picking a thread that blends with rather than contrasts too much with your fabric (front and back), busy fabrics also distract from the quilting a little. Solids will show more goofs than prints, etc. The biggest thing is to get out there and try it. I like to work without patterns when I can, it's very liberating.
    Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 PM

I can't wait to try FMQ! I just need the time to practice!
    Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Yesterday, I taught a beginning FMQ class. As the students progressed through 5 different patterns, it was evident that each person had an "easier" pattern. So it's different for different people.
    Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by maminstl
    My easiest is kind of a combination of stipple/meander, but with loops - don't know what to call that. I didn't do any kind of marking. I find that the easiest because I can break the stippling rule of not having any quilting lines cross, and can use a combination of big loops or small ones, depending on the space I need to fill up.
    Ditto this!
    Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 AM

Thank you for all of your replies and pictures. I have always hand quilted and I like using stencils.. so the quilting itself becomes an art project itself. I would like progress that to my machine quilting... because machine quilting is much quicker
    Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 AM

Meandering and stippling is fun! When I need a break from doing specific quilting designs (I do FMQ only....no stencils or marking!), I go to meandering. It is so relaxing...it sure wasn't when I first started out, but it is true the more you do, the better you get! When I do the meandering, I use a relaxed circular path when sewing all those curves. Then I proceed on to another circular path. This way, it comes out looking like a jigsaw puzzle without straight rows of curves. Hope this makes sense.
    Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl
    My easiest is kind of a combination of stipple/meander, but with loops - don't know what to call that. I didn't do any kind of marking. I find that the easiest because I can break the stippling rule of not having any quilting lines cross, and can use a combination of big loops or small ones, depending on the space I need to fill up.
    My very first FMQ was the bottom of a tote bag. I just put the three pieces together and meandered in loops; right hand loops and then left hand loops. Fun, fun. I still like that one. And I do a lot of quilts this way. But I found that if I use Elmer's School Glue to put the layers together, it is much easier to just "keep sailing". And so much fun. But I put a few safety pins in here and there to keep the pressure of handling a large quilt from pulling the glued pieces apart.

I do a lot of the number 4 from the post by Holice (post #13), in different configurations also. Something different to do.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-27-2013 at 03:56 AM.