Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding >
  • Binding

• Binding

Old 10-10-2013, 08:14 AM

I start with a 2" strip, the fold in half and press. I sew to the front using 1/4" seam, then fold over to the back. I stitch in the ditch on the front to complete the back sewing. Now I admit.. this is not as easy as it sounds, but I have had success stitching in the ditch on the front and catching the back and it looks nice and clean that way
    Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 AM

For something that will get everyday use I sew the binding on the back, iron flat out from my project, turn it over and then iron it over [sometimes I use school glue here], and then machine sew with a pretty stitch. I like the durability of this method.
    If you make reversible placemats it doesn't matter which side you fancy stitch sew down.
    Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM

If I am making a gift for someone, I stitch to the front and hand sew on the back. If I am making charity quilts, I stitch to the back and machine stitch with a blanket stitch on the front. This gives an added detail to the binding, plus is more attractive on the back, rather than just using a straight stitch. Unless it is an extra-special quilt or has rounded edges, I cut my fabric on the straight grain. I usually cut my strips at 2-1/2" to have a 3/8" binding, because I like the wider binding. I've even been known to cut my strips at 3" and have a 5/8" binding.
    Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM

I usually stitch to the front and hand-sew to the back. The width of the binding depends on the width of the edge in the seam, and the bulkiness of the batting. I do straight grain binding, I'd probably use 2 1/4" folded in half, for a placemat. But normally for a placemat I do by birthing - sew all around the placemat with backing and thin batting, with a small section left open for turning; then I top stitch around the edge, about 1/4 to 1/3" from the edge.

Watch a few tutorials on doing the binding. Once you get the hang of it, the corners are fairly easy to do -- start in the middle of one side stop stitching 1/4" before the end of one side, take the needle up and turn for the next side, fold the binding up to the edge of the first sewn side, put the needle down 1/4" from the already sewn side, and do the same thing with each corner. There are several ways to make the binding match when you get all the way around the placemat or quilt.
    Old 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM

I machine stitch to the front (1/4") and hand stitch it down on the back. I vary the width of the binding, it just depends upon what looks the best. Some patterns look better in a "frame". I wait to cut my batting till after I have stitched the front, so I don't end up with any empty bindings.
    Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM

I agree with Jingle. I found I needed a scosh more than the 2 1/4" and I was comfortable with 2 1/2". I cut the fabric strips 2 1/2", fold it in half, sew it to the front 3/8" and fold it to the back and hand stitch in the evening while watching TV with the hubby.
    Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM

I do exactly as QuiltingHaven. :-)
    Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 PM
    Power Poster

Ditto what Tartan said! Jenny's tutorial is easy and it looks good. If you get confused you can always go down to the voice/time bar and back up and pickup where you left off.
    Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
    Power Poster

Missouri star quilt has a great tut on you tube. I cut my binding 2.5 but you can do whatever is best for you.
    Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 AM

Default Placemats

Originally Posted by 1227Granny
    Hi I'm attempting to bind for the first time without much success on some placemats! Should I sew to the front or back and how wide should the binding be? Thanks
    For quick placemats cut you back fabric an inch or so bigger than the front. Bring the backing fabric around, double hem and miter. Stitch down. Instant batting. Quilt or SITD. Asu like or you can do that before binding.