Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magnetic needle reminder? >

Magnetic needle reminder?

Magnetic needle reminder?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 AM

Default Magnetic needle reminder?

I'm participating in a Secret Santa swap on another board and my recipient wants a magnetic needle reminder that she saw. It apparently sticks to the sewing machine to remind a person what size needle they have in the machine. I've searched on-line and all I can find is magnetic needle minders -- a thingamabob to help hold needles. Has anyone here seen the kind I've described above? And where? Many thanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I didn't know such a thing existed. I would think it would be best on older all metal machines? I wouldn't want a magnet to mess up my computerized machine.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 AM

Yes, I remember reading about this but....no idea where. what about Clothilde (not sure of name but close) or Annies (new name for an older business with sewing and quilting supplies) Not much help but I can only attest that such a thing does exist.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I'm participating in a Secret Santa swap on another board and my recipient wants a magnetic needle reminder that she saw. It apparently sticks to the sewing machine to remind a person what size needle they have in the machine. I've searched on-line and all I can find is magnetic needle minders -- a thingamabob to help hold needles. Has anyone here seen the kind I've described above? And where? Many thanks.
If you just want something to remind you of a needle number, buy some magnets at any craft store (or department store) then think of a cute way to make a number. If you're doing a larger magnet, glue some fabric to the magnet and then just magic marker the number onto that fabric. You've got free scraps, and a package of several magnets cost very little.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 AM

I love this idea!! I have a hard time with my needles..... would a magnet screw up my computerized sewing machine? I thought about using one of those sticky yellow pads, but I they fall off when I am flipping my quilts all around. A magnet would probably stay on, but I don't want to fould up my machine. (not even sure if it is steel or plastic so a magnet may not work ).
Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 AM

be careful with magnets around your computerized sewing machine. i wouldnt
put on my machine.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:46 AM

Some years ago, I bought a plastic version of what you are describing that used Velcro to attach it to the machine. It was about an inch or an inch and a quarter in size, square, with two arms that slid along the sides to the size and type of needle. Eventually the arms broke off. It was fine while it worked, but now I just use a post it if I need to remember! I think I found it at Joann's, perhaps in the quilting notions section. HTH.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 AM

I was at a Cameron dick. Classes. She suggested putting a double sided sticky pad onto the machine and put the box from which needle came from on the front. So magnetic needle reminder a pack of double sided sticky pads.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Banned

At the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo, they sell one but it is a rubber type mat. I would be cautious using a magnetic unless the machine on which it is to be used is the non-computer type. I understand magnetized can mess up the innerds of the computers.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I've done just about every word search I can think of and don't come up with anything. The person wanting it has vintage machines which is why I think she wanted magnetic. But even using "sticky" "velcro" and "magnetic" doesn't come up with any hits. Well, lots of hits, but not what I'm looking for. I'll just have to get her something else.