Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
magnetic pin grabber >

magnetic pin grabber

magnetic pin grabber

Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Someone once told me that you shouldn't put a magnetic pin grabber near an electronic sewing machine. How true is this?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:14 PM

A very good question. I have had the magnetic pin holders next to my machines but recently decided I shouldn't continue that practice. I now have a pin cushion and a plastic box. Our machines are more like a computers than not and we were always told to keep those magnets away from the computer... :roll:
Old 03-10-2007, 02:16 PM

It's probably true , my granson put a magnet on my TV screen and made a big green spot. Also nothing like credit cards on miro wave. messes with the magnetic strip. You can write it out on google and they will ans
I looked, yes keep magnets away from electronics
Old 03-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Computers and such are really sensitive!! My friend makes them shut down when she walks by them. She thinks it is her hearing aid.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM

My husband is a mechanic...and gets all kinds of discounts on weird stuff like the magent bowl for nuts and bolts. I've just asked him to pick me up one the other day...he kept reminding me that they will magnetize my pins over time.
Of the stuff he's gotten me from the tool department I do love love love the magnetic reachey thing. Apparently if they drop a bolt or something around the engine this thing is really long and will grab it for them. I love it to pick up stray pins that always wind up in places I can't reach.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 PM

Magnets and computer chips don't play well together. Don't take a chance, you could destroy your machine's memory chip! :(
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Thank you for allyour insights. I guess if you spend as much money as we do to be happy with a machine, we should not worry about the easy way all the time. . Also, it is true that pins will magnetize themselves. How many times have you picked up a pin and 2 or 3 follow and stay that way?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 PM

I have a 20 year old computerized machine and have always heard not to use those magnetic mats that lay on the base of the machine. I have 2 of the magnetic pin grabbers that I use on my sewing table. One sits right behind the machine, where my quilt pieces run through....so that as I sew, I pull the pin and toss it at the grabber. It work great. Then, on the front of my table about 1 1/2 inch from the front of my machine, I glued a stip of magnetic tape to catch the pins I am wanting to keep handy, keeping them from rolling off on the floor.

With a 20 year record, I would say it is safe to have them nearby but probably NOT directly on the machine itself.

This is from my own personal experience.

June