Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Magnetic pin cushion

Magnetic pin cushion

Reading the thread this morning regarding pin cushion preferences - Comments regarding the magnetic kind being kept away from our computerized machines. Is that really a concern? I have several magnetic and i don't worry about them. Should I be? I don't really pay attention to where they are sitting but i seem to always have one sitting within the throat area so i can toss my pins right on it as i sew along. Should i be concerned / find a new place for it?

I only know that I read about this on the Quilting Board several years ago and it makes sense to me. No reason for me to use magnets near my expensive computerized sewing machine. There are lots of pincushion options.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

The electronics in today's machines will not be harmed by any but the most powerful of magnets, and those are definitely not in your pincushion.

Use your pincushion without worry. I have 3 different ones with pins, etc. One sits about 4 inches from the machine corner so pins can be placed easily. The most favored one is the square one that centers the points. It also holds the hoop tool for my embroidery hoops without rolling off.

I don't have computerized machines. I don't use magnetic pin cushions either. I keep a regular pin cushion close to my right hand and stick pins in there.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

maybe in the early early days of electronics. I asked at two different machine repair places out of curiosity, and the answer was it would have to be a magnet the size used to lift cars Magnets used to goof up credit cards too.

My grands play with the Zirkel magnetic pin cushions. They use the pins like Lincoln Logs. LOL They have constructed some amazing pin art. The Zirkel is the best magnetic one I have found and it's heavy, can't be knocked off the table. I have one next to my needle plate on my computerized machine.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have magnetic trays like mechanics use for screws and small parts when taking cars apart. As long as you don't put them near the computer board inside your sewing machine you will be fine. Keep in mind, though, that your pins will become magnetized from being in them.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

No computerized machines are zip drive based so magnets don't due anything to the I use magnetic hoops and my Zirkle pincushion next to machine as well as my magnetic seam guage
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I use magnetic bowls from tool stores. They have never bothered my electronic machines.
    Ken

I have one and love it. However, I do like to keep it at least three feet from my little Brother.
    I worry that it will give "him" a headache. This works against me sometimes, as I have stretch to put the pins back, but I am willing to deal with this to keep my machine in good order.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Husqvarna sell a magnetic stitch guide that attaches to the throat of the machine, if magnets caused a problem I doubt they would sell this.

According to my Bernina dealer, this is not an issue.