Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to look for at IKEA >
  • What to look for at IKEA

• What to look for at IKEA

Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM
    RST

I find the kitchen and bathroom organizational stuff is useful in a craft and sewing room. I like the magnetic knife bar-- I use that to hold tools and pins. I use the expedit cube storage units with baskets inserts to store scraps and batting pieces. If you're looking for bookshelves or organization, go through the store with an open mind for ways to repurpose items. An inexpensive spice rack is a very hand unit for storing buttons and small sundries. I love using a lazy susan ($9) under a cutting mat for ease in cutting tricky blocks.

Most of the fabric is decor weight or canvas, but keep an eye out for duvets and sheets in prints that might work for a backing. You can't beat the price. They also do have a couple of cotton light weight fabrics suitable for quilting in the yardage area, and again, the price is great, particularly when you take into account the fact that each bolt is wider.

I like the as-is section for picking up inexpensive finished boards to be used as shelving in my closets. I also found a slightly damaged table top which I purchased for less than half price -- not an issue for me since a cutting mat would cover the scratched areas.

They have good prices on picture frames, photo ledges, office supplies like magazine storage boxes and file boxes. Curtain rods and mounting hardware that make good quilt display.

Obviously, I love Ikea.
    Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM

I bought an IKEA kitchen table on Craigslist - for less than half the price in the store. It is solid, sturdy birch wood. Beautiful!!!! I sunk my sewing machine into it. I LOVE it. I think it was $125 or so in the store, but I got it for $50. GREAT DEAL!

I've also been to IKEA once...I felt claustrophobic!!! Had to take an elevator as soon as you get into the store and start at the top floor and then work your way down. NO exits ...it felt like it anyway. Had to go through every floor before you could get outta there. I was with 3 or 4 other girlfriends and they were stopping and shopping like they had all the money in the world and I just wanted to get outta there. Don't think I'll go back unless I have plenty of time to shop....it's not an 'in/out' kinda store, but you can get some good deals. Just bring lots of $$$ and leave your claustrophobic tendancies at the door!
    Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Gale, that kitchen cart is adorable! I would love one of those in my sewing room!

Originally Posted by gale
    I've only been to the store once-it is huge. You really need hours. I have ordered from them and my favorite item right now is the raskog kitchen cart. I bought one and it is so awesome I might buy 2 more for my sewing room. Strangely, though, shipping is cheaper if I buy one at a time. When I put two in my basket they wanted something like $250 (or was it $350) for shipping. But if I order one at a time it costs $21 shipping per cart.

eta link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/
    Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Be sure to bring your own sacks. They don't have sacks unless you want to buy them. I finally went to one in Austin when visiting my niece. It took forever to go through the store. I liked the storage section. I knew I couldn't buy anything as I was flying home, so it wasn't so much fun for me. There is an IKEA 5 hours away that I should go to. Maybe I would like it if I knew I could buy some things. I was so tired after going through the store that I went back to my niece's and took a nap.
    Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 AM
    Power Poster

I have this rolling cart and it is very handy. I store lots of small things -- needles, screwdriver, spare bobbins, etc. in the drawer.

We also have Ikea bookshelves -- lots of "Billy" for open shelving, and my dh has some in his office with the glass doors on them. If you think you might want things like this, be sure to bring your room's measurements with you. Some of the styles even have corner shelving units so you can wrap a bookshelf around an inside corner. Ikea furniture is also wonderful for cabinets -- for tv, bedroom, etc.. Friends of ours just installed cabinets in their living room; they have a large TV sitting on the middle cabinets and then cabinet/bookshelf combos with glass doors standing tall on each side.

I am not a fan of their dining sets, our Ikea has only thick, heavy drapery-like fabric so I would never buy quilting fabric there, and I don't care for most of their bedding. However, they have a wonderful selection of long curtains -- both sheer and opaque -- if you are looking for an inexpensive way to cover windows (most you hem yourself

In our master bedroom and bath we also have their woven window coverings. If I can find the name of them, I will post. These are flat woven panels that are attached from above (ours have 3 layers of slides) so you can "stack" the panels. I can't describe them, but they are wonderful and look as if they were custom-made. These are good for windows where you want permanent coverage but still want light to come through. (The fabric will pull out of shape and distort if you move them back and forth every day.) If you are in the store, it does take quite a bit of work to figure out which fittings you need for these panels.

Anyway, if you are interested in window coverings, be sure to bring your window dimensions.
    Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 AM

I agree with the posters who said the kitchen and storage sections are the best.

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    The store is set up so you basically HAVE to walk through the entire store to get to the "hidden" registers
    When you first walk in the door, grab a map. There are shortcuts throughout the store, so you can skip the sections you have no interest in, and you will find it much easier to navigate with a map. I've been to both the Portland and Seattle stores, and the registers were not hidden at all.

Originally Posted by Nilla
    I have several of the little lamps they sell.They cost about 10-20$ and they have a bendy stem so you can point the light right at your needle. I keep one on my at home machine, one with my travel machine and one on my long arm.
    It's called Jansjo led work light, I rave about them every chance I get.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    They have great storage ideas and work area pieces that you can customize to your space. Happy shopping.
    I agree...Great storage ideas. In my store, it is located near the exit !!
    Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM

This is funny because I am also from Indiana and we are in Hilton Head Island, SC right now!!! We will be stopping at IKEA on our way home at the end of this week. I asked for and received this cart from IKEA for Christmas this past year. I put all supplies for my current project(s) and I can roll it around from my cutting table, ironing board and sewing machine. Plus I loved the color!!!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM

If it is the IKEA in Charlotte area, afterwards, head west/south (I think, I'm in CA) about 30 minutes (google it for directions) and you will come to Gastonia where Mary Jo's is. Blow your mind fabric store!
    Old 11-05-2013, 12:59 PM

There are so many different things you might want....you should take measurements of any furniture pieces you might need. Also...be sure to eat there...cheap and mostly good. I love the Sweedish meatballs...even though they were recalled once for using horse meat! I guess that has been corrected by now..