Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kicking off Bonnie Hunter's 2013 Mystery ~ Celtic Solstice >
  • Kicking off Bonnie Hunter's 2013 Mystery ~ Celtic Solstice

• Kicking off Bonnie Hunter's 2013 Mystery ~ Celtic Solstice

Old 11-23-2013, 02:20 PM

I was discussing Black Friday shopping with my DD today and I told her I didn't want to be out long because the mystery quilt was starting. She laughed and called me cute.

I'm excited, but a little nervous that I'll somehow mess it up since you don't get to see the finished product as a reference along the way. I have a few other things to wrap up this week as much as possible so I can focus on keeping up with the clues.
    Old 11-23-2013, 03:34 PM

The only color i'm changing is the blue. I'm using deep eggplant colors and doing the small size. Easy Street is huge...don't need any more big quilts! I love the ideas some of you have to use repros. Can't wait to see pics.
    Old 11-23-2013, 04:40 PM

OK, so we are moving to this thread from the Links section?
    I've pretty much decided on the colours -- they will be greens and golds as Bonnie suggests, but I'm using orangy reds and perhaps browns instead of the blue. I have lots of blue, but when I found the lovely fall tree that is currently my avatar, those colours just spoke to me.
    Now that I've finished the Iron Quilter challenge, I can spend time fondling fabric and getting ready for this.
    Old 11-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla
    I was discussing Black Friday shopping with my DD today and I told her I didn't want to be out nil long because the mystery quilt was starting. She laughed and called me cute.

I'm excited, but a little nervous that I'll somehow mess it up since you don't get to see the finished product as a reference along the way. I have a few other things to wrap up this week as much as possible so I can focus on keeping up with the clues.
    There is no way you will mess up as long as you use colors that you like and have the contrast suggested by Bonnie. You are really going to enjoy this and will end up with a beautiful quilt. Just don't be alarmed if you have to do something like 600 HSTs. I about died when we got that step for RRCB! I NEVER would have "knowingly" done a pattern like that, but I love how I learn or stretch myself with Bonnie' s quilts. :-)
    Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
    indigo, cheddar, chrome, poison with shirtings.
    Okay, so what color is "poison"? Is that close to the color of antifreeze, a color I always think of as "acid green"?

I love the names we have for colors! Isn't it funny how we see so many different colors, but most of our husbands only see 8 or 9 colors? My husband does not see a difference between greens; olive, kelly, sage, forest, it's all the same to him.
    Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Okay, so what color is "poison"? Is that close to the color of antifreeze, a color I always think of as "acid green"?
    It's a green of the civil war era. Not olive, darker than Kelly green, lighter than forest. It's deeper than Bonnie's paint chip.
    Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Thank you for explaining that!
    Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 AM

Is anyone else changing up the colors? I want to work out of my stash and don't have her colors. Make that I need to work out of my stash to reduce it. I'm downsizing my things as I work off my dining room table and have very little storage.
    Old 11-26-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA
    Is anyone else changing up the colors? I want to work out of my stash and don't have her colors. Make that I need to work out of my stash to reduce it. I'm downsizing my things as I work off my dining room table and have very little storage.
    The truth is, I have soooo much stash that I have plenty of any color, any shade (but I still buy more....), however, I'm using purple instead of green and pink/raspberry instead of orange simply because I like the mix of those colors better. I can't wait to get this quilt started!
    Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM

I am changing the colors because I want to use up stash and I don't have much yellow or orange fabric. I am using brown, purple, green, and turquoise.