Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Other peoples' scraps ... >
  • Other peoples' scraps ...

• Other peoples' scraps ...

Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM

Love to see your scrap items. I save down to about 10 inches left.. then I have to donate to scrap users like yourself. I used to throw them away also but recently found a source to rehome them. I am so glad to see them used. I hate tossing fabric. One its highly expensive and too its.. FABRIC you cant throw that way! When I finish making a whole quilt however I am pretty sick of that fabric and its easy to donate the left overs. I am shocked and amazed at the scrap quilts that are made here. I am not that brave yet they truly seem to work. I myself just cant do it, too much chaos. Maybe one day I can let loose and just go for it again.. give it one more try. I have a rainbow of small pieces waiting to go into something..
    Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM

Scraps in my sewing room multiply in the night when the lights are off. I just moved here and gave a lot of my scraps away but brought some as I love making scrappy quilts too. I hope to get involved with more groups in the area to do charity group sewing. You tell your daughter "waste not want not". Back in AK we took scraps and made small lap quilts for the emergency services. We had people come back to us and not only thank us for the quilts but often donate to our cause. There are all sorts of needs for small quilts made from scraps. I think you rock!
    Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM

I am in quilters heaven when some one has a clean out of there sewing room and pass their cast offs to me, I iron them and then store them by colour or theme, I have just sent a email to my friend in America asking her to ask her quilter friends if they have any spot/dot scraps. I just adore scrap quilts
    Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM

I'm like a kid in a candy store. Just received a large paper grocery bag filled to the brim with scraps. A lot of them are 1-1/2 inch squares. Some already sewn together. I'm making a Bonnie Hunter quilt. Did I need the scraps? No, but who could resist...certainly not me. And the variety of the squares is fantastic for a scrap quilt. I am so in love with scrap quilts which is funny because when I first started quilting in 2003, I didn't like them at all. Our tastes do change!
    Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Like you guys, I just love the scraps too. Just before we moved my LA'er gave me 3 large trash bags full. I couldn't wait to pull them out to see what I have. I separated them by color and ended up with at least 1/2 of a small moving box with each color -- blue, brown, green, yellow, purple, orange, blacks/grays, white, and 30's. I can't wait til I have time to play with them.
    Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 AM

I have a nice stash but am really dedicated to doing scrappy mostly. Haven't touched the stash and should probably weed it out some, it's sorted by color- my scraps? sorted by size, some by color- mostly sorted by crumbs and "scraps"........I am a crumb block fiend as well-to the friends who gift me their scraps---I use them and they love seeing them used, since I haven't done a planned quilt in two years, it's good to have others gift their scraps. I let them "shop" in the stash if they need something particular, quilt shops are not close here
    Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 AM

One of the women in my guild collects scraps for dog beds. I'm always amazed at how much I have to bring to her each month and I'm talking real scraps, not anything you could make a quilt with unless, maybe, one of those confetti quilts.

And last Saturday, I went to an all day sewing session of making quilts for hospitals. I'm so sorry I didn't take photos to show but we had some beautiful quilts made of 6 inch blocks that were string blocks and then put together with sashing and cornerstones. Of course the sashing, cornerstones, borders, and backings were not scraps, but they were fabrics someone didn't want. The blocks were definitely scraps and the results were beautiful.
    Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 AM

I make doll quilts for the Christmas party our lqs sponsors for under privledge children. They are a lot of fun to do and I use almost any size as long as it is 2" or larger. They are a lot of fun to do and they reduce my scrsps at the same time. I have also asked my quilting friends for their scaps, not that I don't have enough of my own but get tired of looking at the same fabric plus I have only made a couple quilts for girls, I have grandsons.
    Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM

I am collecting scraps - mine and those from my class - to make dog beds. I would like to know if they are lumpy and what pattern, if any, you use. I only take cotton fabric, and make sure there are no pins lurking in the scraps.
    Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    I hate tossing fabric. One its highly expensive and too its.. FABRIC you cant throw that way! When I finish making a whole quilt however I am pretty sick of that fabric and its easy to donate the left overs.
    I feel the same way Linda! Well - Unless it is Kaffe fabric.
    Pet beds for rescue shelters are a great way to use them Suzzy!