Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to tie a quilt >

how to tie a quilt

how to tie a quilt

Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 AM

I just use the multicolored embroidery thread, I normally separate it to 3 threads. If you aren't stitching in the ditch or any other quilting then go by the rule of thumb when quilting, they need to be about a fist width apart. I normally do SITD along with quilting, depending on the design and the tie. My daughter loves to tie her quilts too. She normally backs them with fleece which since I've taught her how to use the walking foot she has seen how easy it is to have unpleated fleece on the back. But you can use a straight or curved needle and run the thread down and back up again thru the fabric close together and tie it off. I've also seen where some use the auto thread cut on their machines and do the same thing but you wouldn't have the ends of the thread sticking out. You can also take some of the small designs that alot of machines have built in (like little hearts, etc) and place them ever so often and it'll have the same effect. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 PM

I've been quilting for more than twenty-five years. I will share this (which I learned on Saturday!) Put your backing/batting/top on big flat table then take six strand embroidery floss and baste the whole top. Where you want the tie is where you catch all three layers with a stitch, then go back and cut the floss midway between each tie. You've got all the ties in place ready to be square-knotted or whatever. Works quicker than a wink, let's you see possible patterns for the ties, uses up some of that embroidery thread we all seem to have hanging around. Have fun!!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I've been quilting for more than twenty-five years. I will share this (which I learned on Saturday!) Put your backing/batting/top on big flat table then take six strand embroidery floss and baste the whole top. Where you want the tie is where you catch all three layers with a stitch, then go back and cut the floss midway between each tie. You've got all the ties in place ready to be square-knotted or whatever. Works quicker than a wink, let's you see possible patterns for the ties, uses up some of that embroidery thread we all seem to have hanging around. Have fun!!
We were doing some blankets for tornado victims at church. We had a couple ladies who did not sew at all. So, I'd do the tacking like you said and let them do the tying. Worke jsut great.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 AM

A lot depends on the type of bat you are using too. If you have an 8 oz bat you'll want to use a heavier thread than a 2 oz quilt. Also, when you take a bite out of the quilt, try not to have such a wide stitch that it gathers the fabric up a lot. I usually take between 1/4 and 1/8 inch bite.