Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My blocks are out a bit, my seam was not exact! >

My blocks are out a bit, my seam was not exact!

My blocks are out a bit, my seam was not exact!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 AM

I agree with scrappinfaye, sashing could do wonders to hide errors. I would still try and stretch the smaller ones a bit and trim a little of the bigger ones and undo and rip a bit when absolutely necessary. Just make it as nice as you can and it will sure be wonderful.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
I never unsew but I do a lot of frog stitch...... ripit.. ripit.... ripit.
That is really cute !! Thanks for the chuckle. It depends on how much you are off. If it is an 1/8th of an inch, just fudge with it and you will be find. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 PM
RST

It just depends on how you are going to feel about the quilt -- will it bug you each and every time you look at it if you know there are a few places that aren't perfect? Or are you going to just keep going, get her done, use it, wash it, enjoy it, and go on to make something else? I fall into the latter group. I almost never undo/rip/unsew. Life's too short, and fabric is pretty forgiving of slight variation.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 AM

If they are squares or rectangles without sharp points, measure them all and trim all of them to the smallest size. They will then match and you can sew without so much frustration. Someone gave me a bag of what appeared to be same size squares. I soon found out that they were not necessarily square and there were three sizes. So I trimmed all of them and got a whole double quilt top out of them and my grandson thinks it is beautiful!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 PM

You could try pinning them onto your ironing board to the correct size and giving them a healthy dose of starch, then leave them there to dry. Has worked for me to stretch a block a little as well as to shrink a block a bit. When trying to shrink them, I will pet them a bit while they are wet to make them nice and flat.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Don't kill yourself over it being a little off, I bet you are the only one that will ever notice it. I sure if you gifting it they will not question your small errors only be blessed by the gift and giver. Good luck with it.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM

good trick then when blocks are a tad off, is tying teh quilt in teh corners so that it will h ide the imperfections. lol works for me.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:56 PM

I am terrible at cutting exactly and sewing a perfect "scant quarter inch seam." I mean, how much is scant? And when you cut, is the little line on the ruler outside the fabric, inside the fabric or half in and half out? Plus, I am pretty new to all this. So, I cheat - a lot. First, I cut with 1/2 seam allowance. Then I paper piece almost everything. Also, I've found that pressing a seam a different direction, or pressing it open can make things match better - or worse. If something is really a problem, I've been known to stick a pin straight down through the two points I want to match, get out the ol' glue stick and glue the sucker before I sew. Whatever works!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
Pictures might help with giving better advice , but if the seam involves matching triangle points, I would personally pick it out and fudge it around till it was pointy , other then that unless it is WAY off ( more then 1/4 of an inch ) I would leave it, you will probably not even notice it once the top is done
Love your Quote at the Bottom... Yep God makes the decisions....
Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 AM

I have struggled with this dilemma for so long. I have tried and tried to get "exact" seam widths. I finally found (in my own supply of feet for my Brothers machine) a foot that is perfect. I am not where my machine is so I will try to describe it. In the front it has a short flat bar that goes to the right of the needle. On this flat spot there are notches. Perfect! I put a piece of tape near the notch that is appropriate for the seam I need, then put my needle in the appropriate spot and then I write down on a slip of paper (attached to my machine) the quilt I am sewing and the position of the needle for its seams. This has FINALLY saved me. I feel your pain and frustration. I can't tell you how discouraged I have been over my seam allowances. Frustrated, just doesn't cover it.