Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki on a frame... >

Juki on a frame...

Juki on a frame...

Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 PM

I have a brother pq1500s on a queen size grace start right frame and I love it. To get around the problem of shrinking throat space near the bottom of a quilt , for quilts that are longer than they are wide ( like a twin size ) I just load it in sideways instead of top to bottom. For all over designs this really is not an issue , for more detailed designs I have to think a bit more on the layout but makes it alot easier when I get to the end !
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM

I have a juki tforgot only goes backwards and forwards. It is a real heavy beast on my frame they are a great match .
If I want a fancy stitch use my bernina or janome .
Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 AM

Thank you to everyone for the great input.. Garysgal.... I'll have to look into the handi quilter frame. I haven't heard of that one before... Thank you!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I think for a domestic Juki such as yours you might want to consider a tabletop frame such as Ken Lund's. He has a lot of videos on YouTube, plus there are some QB members have posted photos and information about this type of setup (just put ken lund into search box above). Later on, if you ever decide to upgrade to a midarm or longarm machine, it's best to buy the frame with the machine. Most midarms and longarms work best on the frame for which they were designed, and some machine/frames are not compatible with each other.

For example, I have a midarm Voyager 17 (basically a stretched industrial Singer). This is a heavy machine, and the only frame that can handle its weight well is the Hinterberg stretch frame. If I were to upgrade to an Innova machine, though, I would definitely want an Innova frame; I wouldn't even want to try to use it on a Hinterberg frame. Also, domestic machines with 9" harps do not require the larger carriage needed for midarm and longarm machines.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 AM

A Juki TL-2010Q has recently arrived at my doorstep. I have Grace Frame SR2 Queen Size to go with it. I have yet to tell you about my experiences with it on a frame. But oh my word what it is a joy to FMQ on that machine!

From the instruction videos (from Kathy Quilts) one of the tips is actually to a 180 on the quilt if the size of the pick-up roll becomes limiting.

For me, I would never, ever afford a 18"-long arm. So this will have to do!

And on the new SR2 frame you can actually move the frame backwards which means that larger areas can be broken up if needed. Or you can do small size quilting on the frame and saving the larger patterns for when the quilt is off the frame.