Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother >

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM

A quilt sandwich is typically three layers - the top pieced "quilt" (bread), the batting in the middle (peanut butter), and the backing (more bread).

Backing can be just about any type of material, but I like to use cotton fabric because I piece my quilts with cotton. You could also use flannel backing, muslin, or other fabrics. Check the link below for basics. Starting with step 19 will show you how to sandwich and quilt.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-101/?ALLSTEPS

Last edited by kaelynangelfoot; 01-08-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM

The backing material (underside) should be 100% cotton. You can find wide material made for backing a quilt or muslin. That way the back is one piece. The batting could be wool or cotton. If you have a JoAnn's nearby, I'm sure they can point you to the batting and the materials for your backing.

You mom is a very lucky woman. She raised a very good son.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I forget what the underside of the quilt is called. What material would be best for the underside? would I need to put a batting in the middle of the underside the top? (I can't remember if that's appropriate or not for a lap throw)
um, the underside is called "backing" and you can use anything you want, I would probably go for a nice cotton or even a flannel for a truly snuggly quilt.

With respect to the batting, you can use batting, fleece, or even a piece of flannel. Personally, I would use a cotton batting with scrim, this will help stabilize the thinner fabrics. I might even be inclined to use flannel for the back, just to add a little strength but cotton will work just as well.

So what you need is to finish the top, then measure it. Your backing will need to be 2-3 inches bigger than the top all the way around, and your batting should be as well, it will draw up some when you quilt it so you need a little room to play there.

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I will have to look up what a "stitch in the ditch" is I have some learning to do for this project
Stitch in the ditch is basically a straight stitch along the seam lines. Most battings require between 3-10inches between quilting lines (in all directions) in order to prevent the batting from shifting (like you get with old cheap comforters ) With cotton battings with scrim, I believe most of them are 8ins between quilting lines. Which will work nicely.

Now, if I was doing this, I would chose the 2nd top you posted, and do pinwheels, one fabric being one I like, another one that my mom would like. Then I would add a 3in border to finish it off.

For the quilting, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from every seam line. In the center part where your gran's piece is, it will look almost like a plaid. the pinwheels, I would use the serpentine stitch (the one that looks like an S) and stitch 1/4in away from the seams, this will give a little movement to those blocks.

For the borders (the one there now and the one you add) I would just quilt straight lines about the same distance apart as the center part's squares (looks like 6ins) This will also stabilize the batting in those long "tubes" that will be created. you can get creative here if you have the time and patience, use different decorative stitches. I would use the same color thread as the solid border on them now (Navy?) you just want it to hold things together not take the focus.

Good Luck, and please come back and show us what it looks like completed
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Your Mom will be so surprised and pleased with your project! It is truly a labor of love. You might try to find a quilt shop in your area. They can offer their expertise and help you finish your project.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM

I suggest that you take what you have to a local quilt shop for advice and possibly a lesson or two for you to help you on your way. What a sweet son your mom has! I am sure this is just the start of many projects, it doesnt take much to get you hooked on quilting!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:05 PM

My first thought was to preserve them by framing them, especially since you said the fabrics are thin. Since they've already been used, with more use they may start to tear and I don't think you want them ruined. They are kind of large for framing, though---you need to have a large wall space for that. The first one wouldn't look right cut in half, but the second one could actually be cut in half and each half framed, so two different people could each have one for a momento. I really like ManiacQuilter's idea of including photos, maybe some of Grandma's jewelry, a lacy handkerchief that was hers, etc. inside with the quilt pieces.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
as a mom I might like to have some blocks too....especially made by my son.
TOTALLY agree with this. And I think the rest of CarolynMT's advice is spot-on, also.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I would use just one of them now, and save the other for something in the future.

Ok, first off, I would get some some featherweight fusible stabilizer (like this stuff: Pellon) Gently fuse this on the back of the piece, it will help stabilize the fabric for you, especially if it is very thin. It is what I use to stabilize silk.

Then, hmm,....well you can always add borders in graduated sizes......but as a mom I might like to have some blocks too....especially made by my son.

So if one of the tops is 35x42....a general size for throw/lap quilt is 50x60 (ish, mine just end up being what ever they are when done ) then you need to add about 20ins to both measurements, if you split that btween the two sides, then you have 10ins per side to fill. So if you do 8in blocks, then add a small 3in border, it will lap size. Perhaps pick up a few fabrics that you like and a few that your mom would like, and do some type of 4 patch or even a pinwheel. That way the top is a combination of everyone's likes and as a mom, that will mean a whole lot!

I would also keep the quilting very simple, stitch in the ditch or even do a stitch in the ditch about 1/4in from the seam on both sides......that will keep the focus on the fabric....
What she said!!! I think you have a wonderful idea and I'm sure your mom will love it!! Take a hankie or a box of Kleenex with you when you give it to her!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM

What a great idea. Please post a picture when it is complete.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM

*** Welcome & good luck with your project.
*** It will mean a lot to your Mom.

I would use the (1.) stabilizer and yes,
you will need a (2.) batting for the middle,
and a (3.) back (this will be 3 layers).

Last edited by jbj137; 01-08-2014 at 07:38 PM.