Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay??? >

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Dunster: That is the best answer yet to those who think quilts should only be sold for ultra high dollars. Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Love_Quilts

Fabric and cotton prices have been increasing dramatically these years as well as the labor fee. Not sure why they can sell in such cheap price.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have a different take on it. If you're not making quilts as a business, you are probably doing it because you enjoy the process. Once a quilt is finished, the money for fabric has been spent and the time you spent making it is gone, never to be recovered. It would be nice to be able to sell the quilt for what you have invested, but it's rarely possible to do so. After all, if everyone could get paid a reasonable wage for indulging in their hobby, how many people would have outside jobs? When a quilt is finished, you may decide that you would rather have a little money (to pay rent, buy food, pay for insurance, help out a relative, donate to charity, buy more fabric... whatever) than keep the quilt. You're not really selling your quilt-making services, as you would be doing if you were making a quilt on consignment. Instead you're exchanging an already-made quilt for some money. It may not be a good deal from a business sense - but you still may feel that you're better off with the money than with the quilt. I don't think it cheapens your labor, which you actually spent doing something you loved. And I don't fault people who don't see the value we do in quilts. It's our hobby and obsession, not theirs.

Exactly....
Old 01-18-2014, 12:26 PM

I am one who makes quilts out of fabric that I got for free or very cheap. For years I had a big inventory of new and antique quilts that I sold at "high" prices. Now I am looking at downsizing from a house to an apt and want to get rid of things, so I am marking them down until they sell. Sorry if I am stepping on someone's toes but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Anyone who feels they are underpriced, feel free to buy them and mark them up for resale!! LOL!!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:31 PM

I have a different take on it. If you're not making quilts as a business, you are probably doing it because you enjoy the process. Once a quilt is finished, the money for fabric has been spent and the time you spent making it is gone, never to be recovered. It would be nice to be able to sell the quilt for what you have invested, but it's rarely possible to do so. After all, if everyone could get paid a reasonable wage for indulging in their hobby, how many people would have outside jobs? When a quilt is finished, you may decide that you would rather have a little money (to pay rent, buy food, pay for insurance, help out a relative, donate to charity, buy more fabric... whatever) than keep the quilt. You're not really selling your quilt-making services, as you would be doing if you were making a quilt on consignment. Instead you're exchanging an already-made quilt for some money. It may not be a good deal from a business sense - but you still may feel that you're better off with the money than with the quilt. I don't think it cheapens your labor, which you actually spent doing something you loved. And I don't fault people who don't see the value we do in quilts. It's our hobby and obsession, not theirs.
Dunster, this is exactly how I feel. I do the quilt for enjoyment and don't want the pressure of trying to always please someone. If someone is happy with it and gives me some money, then I will be able to buy more fabric to make another quilt. On a fixed income it all helps. However, if a quilter does it for a business and can get the money she wants for the quilt then more power to her. It's a choice.
margee
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

when i first started 'crafting' [knitting, crocheting, quilting] many many years ago, i remember reading that it was difficult to sell what you make. most crafters only make about fifty cents an hour for their work was the advice that i read. inflation on that amount has not kept up with the rate of inflation on everything else. just as big box stores sell their wares for less than 'boutiques', so it goes with quilting. it's just the way it is.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:55 PM

You really have a great attitude about this. Maybe someday I'll be able to look at it this way. Right now when this happens, it feels to me that my efforts and talents are not sufficiently valued. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. We have had this discussion at our quilt guild meetings, and there are always women there who feel strongly about this on both sides of the fence. And I think it's difficult for each to understand the opposite opinion.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM

i see your point dunster, and in the end i agree.

it's a much wider cultural distortion involving the combination of readily available materials, class and labour ethics. it still gets right up my nose off though, and even if they don't need/want the money they could charge more, creating a more fair market for hand made goods.

globally having the privilege to quilt makes us bourgeois, so first world problems right?

aileen
Old 01-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Duncan is right again !! You have to realize what eBay is. It's really a large garage sale so buyers are looking for bargains. I see Bargello tops selling for $20 to $40 and that is probably the total cost of the fabric and thread. I made quilts that were published in books as examples I did a lot of local quilts shows. Always thought how nice it would have been if people put a few coins in a tip jar for all the compliments I received. I found the best place to sell quilts were small shows done in private homes.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 PM

I bought a "handmade" quilt off of eBay - once. When I got it, you could see where the person cut off the tags that come on bedspreads and quilts. Learned my lesson - never again.