Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sending your quilt to a LAQ >

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

You did ask for an opinion, so here it is. Two weeks from February 25 was just yesterday, so at this point the longarmer is at most 1 day "late". And she originally said she would "try" to get it done in 2 weeks, but apparently didn't promise? And that estimate was before she had received the quilt, so she didn't know for sure when it would arrive or what else would be on her plate by the time it came. Like Krista, I don't understand why you would have contacted her after one week. Once she puts your quilt on the frame, she may finish it in a day or two, so she wouldn't have necessarily even looked at it during the first week, especially if she's been ill. Unless you gave her a time by which you needed the quilt and had an agreement that it would be done by then, I don't think that waiting until the end of this month is unreasonable, and I certainly wouldn't feel that the quilt was being held hostage.

On the other hand, it's your quilt, and you can definitely ask for it back if the timing is not working out for you. You might be expected to pay the postage in both directions, if there was no promise of when the quilt would be finished. It sounds like there may have been a lack of communication in both directions. This is one reason why a good written agreement should be in place, to protect both parties and to clarify the expectations for both of you.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear, I just read your explanation to Krista. I have never heard of sending a quilt in the mail without knowing how much it was going to cost to quilt it. What if her estimate is more than you want to pay? Then you're out the postage and the time, and still don't have the quilt finished. Usually longarmers will request a picture of the quilt top instead, and discuss via email what type of quilting would be appropriate, then provide an estimate.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Oh dear, I just read your explanation to Krista. I have never heard of sending a quilt in the mail without knowing how much it was going to cost to quilt it. What if her estimate is more than you want to pay? Then you're out the postage and the time, and still don't have the quilt finished. Usually longarmers will request a picture of the quilt top instead, and discuss via email what type of quilting would be appropriate, then provide an estimate.
She had me on her quilting list since early December, I kept in touch with her letting her know when I got it finished and asked her how long it would take her to quilt it and how much she would charge. She lives about 4 hours from me and I wanted to drive there to meet with her and see her designs; but she said she has a lot of people mail them to her. She told me she would let me know the cost when she was done with it and then I could send her the payment. And unfortunately I haven't found a local quilter. It is nerve racking sending through the mail.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM

MIne have taken anywhere from 3 weeks toa month, but I was given an estimated time frame, and I did need it by a deadline. Your dilemma is obviously lack of choices nearby, but when do any type of work that cost quite a bit of money, if you don't personally know the person well. I would have everything written up and agreed upon, price, design, when it would be done by. I do understand the calling after a week as I probably would want to know whats going on as well if it was not planned out. Also any delays the person should be upfront about even if there is not a set date if its past the estimated time they should be upfront because just because you may not be in a rush doesn't mean you might not need your quilt back by a certain time to finish anything up. My quilter had my husbands quilt for a month, and I got it back with just barely enough time to do binding and hand embroidery, had she taken an extra week he would not have got his quilt on his birthday. There are a lot of good LAQ on this board that may be out of state that are also willing to work with you. If you are mailing your quilts already in state it might be something to consider as you already can see a lot of their work here on the board.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
She had me on her quilting list since early December, I kept in touch with her letting her know when I got it finished and asked her how long it would take her to quilt it and how much she would charge. She lives about 4 hours from me and I wanted to drive there to meet with her and see her designs; but she said she has a lot of people mail them to her. She told me she would let me know the cost when she was done with it and then I could send her the payment. And unfortunately I haven't found a local quilter. It is nerve racking sending through the mail.
I know that some longarmers give a cost bracket, rather than a firm figure, because they base their charges on the amount of time and materials they actually spend on the quilt. But they still provide written estimates and get approval of the price before starting work. Others have a set fee schedule, based on the type of quilting and the size of the quilt. Does she have a web site that gives her price structure? If so, she may think (wrongly) that you already know roughly how much the quilting will cost. Again, it sounds like better communication is needed, as well as a written agreement. I'm sorry you're having such a bad experience. I doubt that there's any real cause to worry, either about not getting your quilt back or about being over-charged, or even about the quilt being lost in the mail, but I do understand why you're frustrated.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM

I have been sending my quilts via mail for a few years. I always ask prior to shipping what her backlog of quilts looks like , for a time frame. I don't want to send it if its just going to sit...so I can ship it closer to when its going to be worked on. I understand your feeling anxious not knowing exactly whats happening , call or e mail , request a firm date . If its not a date that in your time frame request it be shipped back.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 PM

As a long arm quilter doing work for other people I give them an estimated delivery date when we go over the details. Also, their names go into the my que as soon as we agree that I will do the job. If I have a wait the person hangs onto their quilt until I am ready to start on it as I get closer to their order, usually two quilts out, I ask that they get me their project and we go over everything one more time to make sure nothing has changed from the original plan.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
As a long arm quilter doing work for other people I give them an estimated delivery date when we go over the details. Also, their names go into the my que as soon as we agree that I will do the job. If I have a wait the person hangs onto their quilt until I am ready to start on it as I get closer to their order, usually two quilts out, I ask that they get me their project and we go over everything one more time to make sure nothing has changed from the original plan.
Your plan sounds very logical. I wish I would have known about you before. I have emailed this lady and asked if she would return my quilt. Just waiting for her reply.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 AM

I have quit doing quilting for others. I work full time outside the home and if anything comes up it causes problems in giving an accurate estimate of how long something will take. The last quilt I did for a customer was a custom quilt which did win a ribbon but it took me almost 3 months and had lots of microstippling. The problems that came up with quilting it included: 1. the customer just sent material and I had to piece the backing together. 2. I pulled a muscle in my back and couldn't stand at the machine without pain. 3. I had tension problems and I had to take out alot of the stitching and redo it. 4. It had lots of applique to stitch around. 5. My longarm broke and it took me a week to get it running again. 6. I caught a cold and didn't work on the quilt for a week. 7. I had to travel for work and was out of town for 4 days.

When she brought the quilt to me and told me how detailed she wanted it quilted I did explain that I was a slow quilter. I did give her a price discount because I missed the tension issue and quilted around most of the applique before realizing it, and that delayed her getting the quilt.

As to being on the quilter's list since December I think that would mean different things to different people. The lady who wanted a detail custom quilt from me had been telling me for a year that she wanted me to quilt it for her when it was done, but how did that change what happened when I finally received the quilt from her? Plus, was my life supposed to stop and shift to accomodating her timetable because she had told me a year previously?

I hope you get your quilt back quickly and I am sorry you are unhappy but I think you probably had unrealistic expectations.

Last edited by Pagzz; 03-13-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I would be concerned about not having an estimate of the cost in place or at the very least a budget. what happens if she finishes the custom job and tells you it is $500? Will that come as a shock or price is no object? I am assuming you have seen this LAQ work or at least pictures of her work and you definitely want her to do it. But I would definitely want to know how much or at least a ballpark within $50 give or take before the first stitch is put in.

As for the wait, I do LAQ for others. In addition to discussing price (which is usually the first order of business) I always give a time table, however, I only pencil someone into a date frame until quilt is actually in house. (75% of everything I do is mailed to me) I have had too many situations where people want to reserve a spot then the quilt never shows. So for me, the quilt isn't in my que until it is in my possession. But that said, when I receive it, I contact the person to let them know it arrived safe and sound and then discuss designs if that hasn't already happened and give them a time line. Life does happen. If I get sick or my machine breaks down, family crisis, any number of things can happen and depending on the severity of the situation I can see where communicating to a LA client that a relative just passed away or I can't even get out of bed due to illness would not be on my radar.

It would not be out of line for you to ask she mail the top back if you prefer to go elsewhere and she hasn't started. i would also discuss a budget before she starts. This getting a price after it is all said and done does sound to me like your quilt is being held hostage for ransom!

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-13-2014 at 06:50 AM.