Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave >

the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave

the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
I also like the glue basting method. I've only done it twice and the results are successful. I thin the glue with water and apply it with a paint brush. I love not having to remove pins as I quilt. I'll continue to use this method.
Pinkcastle - do you "paint" over the whole area - or it is a hit and miss approach? Since I have been doing a lot FMQ on my domestic - I'm seriously thinking of using this method and I dislike stopping to remove pins too. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM

before acquiring a longarm, I used this method as well. Great results, and kept me off my knees. I couldn't handle basting any other way.

Last edited by DebraK; 04-24-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:40 AM

Starch the heck out of the backing & that helps a lot!!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 AM

I glue baste now and will always. It works so well for me.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 AM

For me, when I get puckers it means I didn't tape my backing down well enough. I'm not as young (or as light) as I used to be and doing all those deep-knee bends to tape down and then baste a quilt just kill me after awhile so I start skipping steps and then I get puckers. I'm going to switch my methods and try something I learned from a Leah Day class on Craftsy - she bastes up on a pair of folding tables and uses lengths of elastic wrapped around the legs to give tension - she pins the elastic to the backing so the elastic is keeping things nice and taut.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I haven't had a wrinkle or pucker worry since I started using Elmer's School glue. The fabric isn't going anywhere and it's so simple to pull apart and if I need to. I had quilt basted with the glue for over 3 months. I decided I didn't like the backing so just pulled it right off, re glued the backing I wanted. The glue washes out completely, non toxic. It's really a heavy starch product.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I hand baste using Sharon Schamber's method. Check out on youtube. I do it on a table with pads. At first I rolled it on boards, now I just use 2 heavy boards to hold the non basting area down. I believe the herringbone stitch does the job. Neat back.
I heartily agree! Over 30+ years of quilting, I've tried them all. Sharon Schamber's method is not only kind to my back, I have never ever experienced a tuck. Other advantages is that there is no residue that needs washing after the quilt is completed (I do my washing before making the first cut); washing afterwards is only as needed if it's been sitting around or has become soiled in the quilting process (except baby quilts which are always given a final, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic wash).

ONE THING THAT HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED: (Often we overlook the obvious) You are working from the center out, aren't you? There is no getting around that and it automatically accommodates the miniscule adjustments that might be needed.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Starch, then spray baste, should be less wrinkles. I never liked pinning, only did it on my first quilt
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I too would advise changing from safety pins for basting to either basting spray or Elmer's glue. Think about spray basting. When you use this, all three layers are continuously "glued" together. With pins, no matter how closely you pin, the three layers touch only where the pins are. No matter how careful you are, each pin is bound to take up a little more or a little less of one of the layers. For basting, you really cannot beat having continuous contact between layers.

Another thing that helps tremendously, even if you pin baste, is heavily starching the backing fabric before layering. Starch stabilizes the backing fabric so it is much less likely to stretch or move as you handle it. I recommend a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water (the heaviest starch I have been able to use efficiently). What I do is "paint" this solution onto the backing fabric using a large wall painting brush (the kitchen island works great for this job), wait a couple of minutes to make sure the fabric fibers have had an opportunity to absorb the starch, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM

I still use pins and clamp to a table. I have yet to have a wrinkle on the back. But then, I don't stretch things really tight either, probably because it's more work.

I can't bring myself to baste with adhesives, neat as it sounds, because I am not convinced that some glue doesn't end up in the batting after washing.

Hugs,
Charlotte the skeptic