Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cutting table advice please >
  • cutting table advice please

• cutting table advice please

Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 AM

I have the one without the shelves in it. I use it a lot for cutting now but originally I bought it to help me sandwich so I wouldn't have to get down on the floor. If I were starting all over I would look in used furniture stores for a piece of furniture that was the right height and width, much cheaper and much more stable.
    Old 04-29-2014, 05:49 AM

I purchased cutting table from JA's, very much like the one you are looking at. If I knew what I know now I WOULD NOT have purchased it. Wobbly, cannot store things underneath easily(with the criss-cross legs). IMHO, a dinning table (with risers) would be better or banquet table/risers.

Good luck
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 AM

I did want one of these, but saw the less expensive one put together at a local fabric store. I found it very unstable. I frequently cut up to 12 layers of fabric. I would NEVER have tried it on that table. I am lucky that I can use a 6' fold up table. Of course, it never gets folded, it is full of boxes with fabric in them, under the table. I bought the 5" bed risers from Bed, Bath and Beyond, and it is the perfect height for a 5'2" person.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 AM
    Power Poster

I have a 6' long folding banquet table 30 " deep. DH many years ago made a 8' long workbench. The work bench is 28" deep. Our kitchen table is 3' x5'. I have plenty of cutting space. DH cut a piece of plywood 30x30" since the workbench top has 3 planks of wood. so there are some grooves. The plywood is only 1/4" but makes cutting easier. I just put the cutting mat on it when I use the bench. Helps when having bad back day. I tried one of those tables and took it back. Didn't like it moving around on me. rarely use the kitchen table but DH likes to use it. I have 4 different levels and the cost of them together is still less than the tables on Amazon or IKEA.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM

My DH made this for me using an unfinished base cabinet and half of a door - measures 30 x 40. It sits at kitchen counter height (I am 5'7"
    Attached Thumbnails cutting-table.jpg  
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 AM
    Power Poster

Another place you may want to try is GW/SA. They often have the older folding dining tables with storage under them easily applied. Don't forget estate sales!

I purchased a Horn cutting table....not inexpensive but worth it.......got it on sale on Black Friday and I find it not only useful for cutting but also for making a quilt sandwich. Used it for a queen size and it worked fine.
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Marsh
    My DH made this for me using an unfinished base cabinet and half of a door - measures 30 x 40. It sits at kitchen counter height (I am 5'7"
    This is another great idea!
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM
    Power Poster

I have my table top of pressed wood sitting on various items such as a bookcase and storage units for fabric. Don't let any of that valuable space under your table go to waste.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 AM

I have the one with no shelves. It is compact enough to put in my kitchen since I don't have room in my sewing room.
    Use it for layering my quilts but have to do it in sections. Mainly it is for cutting fabric.