Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine >

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I like the magazine. For me, it is helpful to have the printed instructions, rather than just the video. I hope, though, that they stay mostly focused on quilts. The second issue has several projects--quilted projects, yes--but I really prefer quilt patterns rather than bags or table runners.
I agree! The videos are great but I need the printed instructions too. As for precuts (I don't use them) the measurements and quantities are listed in the back of the book - make your own!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 AM

For those of us who thrive on video tutorials, we do not have a need for a magazine to explain the patterns. However, MSQC is meeting the need for those who want to have pictures and written down directions. They specifically said that they would feature blocks they have shown in their tutorials, so, "no new patterns" should not be a surprise. I don't subscribe to Block but I do applaud MSQC for meeting the needs of all types of quilters. I agree that they should have their own advertising in their magazine/book since it is their venture. I, for one, dispise advertising in magazine that would not interest me, and, in a quilting magazine, all advertising related to quilting would be delightful! I understand the concern over bias. Jenny speaks directly about bias in some of her videos, and she tries to help the quilter be less afraid of bias. I wonder if she mentions anything about this in Block? Might be a good suggestion for them to talk about bias.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 AM

Well why wouldn't they advertise their products? I love the magazine and MSQC.. I also want the hard copy. Some of the tutorials are not listed on their web site, so I save them. I agree to each his own.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 AM

I love the magazine (book) it is MSQC magazine so of course they have their products in it. Also the price is right. Other magazines have more then half of advertising. People just need to enjoy!!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I'm just not a subscription person. Never seem to have time to read the magazines anyway.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 AM

I enjoy having the printed instructions for their videos. And, why wouldn't they advertise their own products? You don't have to use them - you can cut your own but it sure saves me a lot of time.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

All the younger quilters in my guild think it's the best magazine they have seen. To have the pattern, video, and kit available gives them all the options they want. They love precuts. All the younger women I have seen at workshops and classes want pre cuts. They say why cut all that fabric? They don't want to do it and don't. My DD is the same way. She will buy a kit with all precuts even though I have a room full of fabric for her to use. I will continue to buy the magazine mostly because the people behind it are truly amazing with a great family. Not many can say that they have the family bond the Doan's have and I admire that.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 AM

This sounds like it is "right up my alley"--I have been putting off ordering another magazine subscription, and have cancelled a dozen quilt magazines for just the reason someone above mentioned: too much advertising and only one or two complete quilt instructions (most likely on the one I was interested in putting on my bucket list); thanks for this entry, ladies. I'll be ordering my magazine soon. I love Jenny's tutorials (and showmanship); just don't like to sit in front of the computer all that long at one time.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM

You could cut your own "pre-cuts", but think of all the fat quarters you would need to buy to get the variety that are in the pre-cut bundles. I also think there is more waste when you cut something out of a pre-cut. The little pieces left would be usable only in a crumb quilt. With larger pieces to start with, they could be arranged to waste less fabric. But then you're back to the variety. Which is more important to you?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM

I agree with deed. But I do love having the patterns on paper and not have to keep playing it back. Also I love the family, I would like to work with them.