Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hexagon OCD? >
  • Hexagon OCD?

• Hexagon OCD?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Why the aversion to washing the fabric?
    LOL, I guess its an aversion to laundry, I have 9 children and I feel like I have have never seen the bottom of a hamper!

I really do not mind pre washing, its the whole preparing fabric for the printer. Prewash, iron, cut edges, iron to freezer paper, put through printer. It's just easy to pop into die machine.
    Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

I like Jinny Beyer's technique. Her quilt won the Good Housekeeping contest:
    http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-w...3044F2CD4B1A24

Years ago I watched a video she made in which she demonstrated how she hand pieces. I think this CD-ROM of hers is similar to the one I watched:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Piecing-J...dp/1933308001/

I used the Ardco window template to cut out my hexies. First I cut strips of fabric in the necessary width, then used the metal hexagon template to cut the other sides. I was able to stack and cut about 4 layers at a time with good accuracy. I did not do anything to the fabric -- no pre-washing, etc.

At first I used the Ardco window template (inside) to draw my sewing lines using a fine-tipped mechanical pencil. Jinny does not mark sewing lines at all; she eyeballs the 1/4" seam. Her sewing method is ***extremely*** fast; basically she moves the fabric onto the needle in ripples. You have to see her in action to believe it. In the video she slows it down so you can see what she is doing. I never got that fast, but her method of piecing is definitely much faster than any others I have seen. As I said, she does not mark sewing lines. She figures that later on, if there is a blip somewhere in the construction, it's easy for her to snip the thread at both ends and re-sew. (She secures the thread at each joining and also every couple of inches in longer runs, so anything snipped in-between is not going to affect the rest of the stitching.) She is using a running stitch, of course. There is no freezer paper or anything.

Oh, and I should mention that some people use a piece of 1/4" tape on a fingernail to provide a quick way of checking seam allowance.

When making my top, I quickly found that I needed a marked sewing line on only one of the paired hexies I was sewing together. After awhile I was able to sew without needing to mark the lines, although it was still helpful to me to mark corners with a pencil dot (and match corners with pins before doing the running stitch).

Edit: Sorry, I thought Jinny Beyer's winning quilt was a hexie; my memory seems to get worse every day! However, the information about her piecing technique is accurate whether working with hexies or not.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-14-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM

Cindy Blacksburg has a stamp marking cut and sew lines
    Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks so much for all your help. I ordered Jinny Beyer's DVD and an Ardco window template. Can't wait to start my second batch of hexies.
    Old 05-14-2014, 01:13 PM

I Inklingo and I don't prewash. It works fine for me. I tried all other hexie methods and they drove me crazy, so Inklingo is it for me.
    Old 05-15-2014, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl
    I may have your solution. I used to be in the same guild with this lady and she has put A Lot of work into her product and I have seen it first hand. It's Stamps by Kate and the website is ByKate.com. What you do when using her stamps, is to stamp the fabric and cut out the hexies. She has added a sewing line to the stamp. So I think this will fill all your criteria?
    Also, even though she and I were in the same guild, we were not close. I'm currently not in contact with her and honestly have not even thought about her in the 3 years I've been gone from Texas. But I do think she has a great product. But being on the tightest of budget, I didn't buy from her
    Thank You for the link. I love using stamps. i checked out her site and am ordering some.
    Old 05-15-2014, 06:47 AM

Just checked bykate.com too. I think I will try that method too. Want to order a few things from her.....if the hexie is one inch then the diamond for the pathway should be the same right...never used the diamond shape before.....

Has anyone here used the stamps for cutting/sewing?
    Old 05-16-2014, 04:23 AM
    Vat

There is one method you didn't mention and that is making hexigons from circles. There is a new book out ,
    Quick and Easy Hexie Quilts by Dr. Peggy G. Rhodes and Julia C. Wood frm AQS. It is really easy and you don't
    have to deal with papers. With their method you can measure the hexagons you already have and they tell you how large to cut your circles to make the two methods match. They alsohave a blog it is: thehexieblog.blogspot.com
    It is a really neat way to make hexagons you might want to check it out.
    Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Do you like hand sewing? If you really just want a hex quilt why not do one by machine? Only suggesting because you didn't like a lot of the work that comes with this project. I have done a lot of machine piecing hexagons and it's pretty fast and easy once you get the hang of it. Each side is sewn individually. I start 1/4" in from the edge and back stitch at the beginning and end of the seam. Just throwing it out there ;-)
    All this talk of hand sewing makes me want to start a project. Can beat mobility!
    Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vat
    There is one method you didn't mention and that is making hexigons from circles. There is a new book out ,
    Quick and Easy Hexie Quilts by Dr. Peggy G. Rhodes and Julia C. Wood frm AQS. It is really easy and you don't
    have to deal with papers. With their method you can measure the hexagons you already have and they tell you how large to cut your circles to make the two methods match. They alsohave a blog it is: thehexieblog.blogspot.com
    It is a really neat way to make hexagons you might want to check it out.
    We were taught that lesson at our last guild meeting. Easy peasy. I'm not into hexies, but that's how I'd do it if I were.