Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Found recipe for homemade starch... >
  • Found recipe for homemade starch...

• Found recipe for homemade starch...

Old 05-17-2014, 07:05 AM

I have learned from Mawluv that you can use your body splash and scent your starch too. Just a little though.

I don't starch a quilt after it is made and 'stored'. Starching the fabric as I cut it and sew it helps me to manage the fabric. Do be careful when pressing the fabric - don't want to stretch it out of shape!

Thanks for trying this new recipe. I am thrilled with it.
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Sounds interesting, and definitely a less expensive way to make starch!
    Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 PM

I have some 100% pure peppermint oil, can I use that as my essential oil?
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:06 PM

I have not used this recipe but am interested. I generally use Niagra non-aerosol or if I have some Best Press. I starch similar to like we used to sprinkle clothes "back in the day". I put my fabric in a plastic bag and then spray the starch in the bag quite heavily. I then massage the fabric through the bag to distribute the starch and then let it sit a while for the starch to absorb into the fibers. The reason that I do it this way is so I don't have to deal with the over spray of starch which can be sticky on the floor, ironing board etc. Starch flakes when you iron it is because it has not been fully absorbed into the fibers and so when the hot iron hits the starch it dries quickly and flakes. If you wait until the starch is fully absorbed which is achieved in the plastic bag you will get little to no flaking. I'm impatient and it is hard for me to wait but found that if I do I get much better results and my iron doesn't get all gunky.
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    I have not used this recipe but am interested. I generally use Niagra non-aerosol or if I have some Best Press. I starch similar to like we used to sprinkle clothes "back in the day". I put my fabric in a plastic bag and then spray the starch in the bag quite heavily. I then massage the fabric through the bag to distribute the starch and then let it sit a while for the starch to absorb into the fibers. The reason that I do it this way is so I don't have to deal with the over spray of starch which can be sticky on the floor, ironing board etc. Starch flakes when you iron it is because it has not been fully absorbed into the fibers and so when the hot iron hits the starch it dries quickly and flakes. If you wait until the starch is fully absorbed which is achieved in the plastic bag you will get little to no flaking. I'm impatient and it is hard for me to wait but found that if I do I get much better results and my iron doesn't get all gunky.
    Good suggestions about spraying with fabric in a bag, etc. I will try that.

I really don't see why your peppermint oil would not work. That would smell so good!

Remember that the lemon oil prevents you from having to refrigerate the mixture. Let us know if you mix up your cornstarch starch and how you like it.
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM

I posted 'lemon oil' and what I put in mine was lemon juice. I don't know if you have to refrigerate if you use lemon oil or not.

I, too, used to use Niagra non-aerosol and am using those bottles to mix my 'new' starch.
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 PM

the recipe I tried has you boil the water, then add a slurry made up of the starch stirred into a bit of cold water until dissolve then stir it into the hot water until completely dissolved then add oil when. I have been using that and I like it better than the vodka starch.
    Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by riutzelj
    the recipe I tried has you boil the water, then add a slurry made up of the starch stirred into a bit of cold water until dissolve then stir it into the hot water until completely dissolved then add oil when. I have been using that and I like it better than the vodka starch.
    Thanks for the input....your recipe sounds like something I would do instead of just mixing mine in cold water. Glad to know that you also like this recipe.
    Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
    Is corn starch the same as corn flour
    In the US they're completely different things, but I've been told that in the UK corn flour is the same thing that we call cornstarch in the US. Not sure what the terms are in Australia, but if what you're thinking of as cornflour is a very fine white powder, then it's most likely the same as cornstarch. (The thing that I'd call cornflour or cornmeal is less finely ground and usually yellow-ish -- you use it in place of flour to make things like cornbread.)
    Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
    Is corn starch the same as corn flour
    Yes. Different names in different countries.