Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • opinions! baby lock vs janome! help! >
  • opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

• opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 PM

I have two Janome machines. The first one I got was Model 115215. It was a refurbished one and a real workhorse. I'm not sure if it is still available but it is in the $350-400 range. I just recently got a 8900qcp with the wide harp. I got a new one but those are used on cruises a lot and quite often you can get a cruise model for around $3000. I got the dealer to match the cruise price for a new one. I love that machine. I don't have any experience with Babylock. I was using my mid 1970's Viking machine before early this year when I got the first Janome.

If I were you I would give your current Janome a good cleaning, change the needle etc. and if it's been almost a year since you've had it in for service consider that. It might be something simple and you'll have less than $100 bill and a machine that purrs.
    Old 06-18-2014, 04:51 PM

I would seriously consider a Juki. I have several Janomes but have heard great things about the Juki. They seem to stitch great and have big harps. I think they are strictly straight stitch machines.
    Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 PM

I Would get the babylock grace or elizabeth if it were me. I love my brother/babylock machines.
    Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM

I didn't mention that in addition to my Babylock Audrey I also have a Juki 2010q that I bought about a year ago. Straight stitch only, but a workhorse with lots of power and large harp. And I really like the speed control, knee lift pressure foot lever and automatic thread cutter!!
    Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 PM

I have a Janome 7700, and it's a great machine. I also have a Brother PQ1500 and Brother PC-420. The PC-420 was fine, for about 2 months. I even bought a 2nd one, hoping it was a fluke that the 1st one broke down so quickly. Well it wasn't.
    But I must say my absolute favorite machine is my Juki HZL-400. It sews just as great as my Janome, and actually it's got a quiter smooth running feel to it when I'm sewing. If it had the 11" harp like my Janome, it would be the clear cut fave of mine. And I paid a lot less for my Juki than my Janome.
    Kif
    Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 AM

I have a Janome 1600P and use it for piecing. It's a workhorse. I just can't seem to get the tension right on it to quilt. One of these days I will try again. In the meantime I use my Brothers Quattro for quilting.
    Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 AM

Janome gets my vote. i have the 1600 and a gracie frame and the machine is a work horse. but yes service
    your janome before you give up on it.
    Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 AM

I currently have a Janome 6600 (love this machine) and an 8900 qcp (still learning the ropes on this one). I traded in my Babylock Espire. Was it a bad machine? No, not at all. Very user friendly. The harp space wasn't great, though and, quite frankly, the Janomes accessories are far more affordable for the most part. In addition, in my area, I prefer the Janome dealers here to our BL store. Personal preference based on personality and customer service. I also feel like the Janomes are a much more solid machine and I like that I can clean my own machine much more easily than I could the Babylock. Keep trying out as many as you can. Kind of like buying a car, it all depends on what you like and what dealership you find yourself comfortable with for servicing. Good luck.
    Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 AM

My 'big' machine is a Janome 6600 and I love it, love it, love it.

I just recently also bought a Janome 3160QDC to be my portable machine and it's a dreamy little machine. It stitches great, LOVE the scissor cut button, and as Sally J described it, it really does just 'purr'. My dealer has them out for test-drives, you might be able to find one to test out.

The only thing I want that it lacks (that my 6600 has) is I can't seem to program a default needle position, so I have to keep a sticky note on it to remind me to adjust the needle for a 1/4-inch seam each time I turn it on. WOE IS ME, right? LOL
    Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM

I love my Brother PQ1500. It is straight stitch only, has a thread cutter, and needle down. It is great for piecing and quilting. It has a wider throat 7" or 9", I forget. It only costs about $500. My other favorite is my new Janome 8900. It is my first Janome, but it is a really solid great machine. It has lots of stitches, wide throat-11", and lots of included feet. It is more costly though for about $2500. Both are great for quilters. I actually use the Brother mostly for piecing and the Janome for quilting.