Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • oiling/servicing machine >
  • oiling/servicing machine

• oiling/servicing machine

Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

the only place i put any oil is under the bobbin in the little hole. I try to take my machine in once a year but sometimes it's two years for it's checkup. Do not oil the machine yourself. Especially if you do not have the correct machine oil.
    Old 07-03-2014, 04:35 AM

My Bernina is professionally cleaned once a year. Lint buildup is done regularly with every bobbin change and a drop of oil every third bobbin. I also have a Viking that you are not supposed to have to oil. I clean the bobbin lint but am wondering how to "get into" it to clean better. I can unscrew the throat plate but where else/how to do anything else?
    Old 07-03-2014, 04:50 AM

My machine goes in about evey 1,000,000 stitches for a service, but routine oiling and cleaning is done quite often. He will be going in for a service and update next week!
    Old 07-04-2014, 01:32 AM

Oh my goodness, I need to take my machines in for maintenance now. Really, it's been about 4 years for my Brother emb-sewing machine, and I've had my other machines for about 2 yrs. now without prof. maintenance, just regular home cleaning. But in my defense, there's been a lot of illness in my family, so no sewing time for some (much) of that time. I just need to find out where to put a drop of oil on my "no-oil" machines between maintenance visits. Thanks for the reminder!
    Old 07-04-2014, 04:47 AM

I usually fill six bobbins and when I use them up, it is time to give my machine a really good cleaning and oiling, but when I change bobbins, I do clean out the bobbin area of any lint. That seems to work great for me.
    Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terri D.
    I can sort of tell when my machine needs a bit of oil, because it begins to sound a little too noisy. I also clean and oil it after finishing a project, and if I'm sewing with flannel or doing some serious piecing, I vacuum quite frequently throughout the project to avoid excessive lint buildup. You can do intermediate maintenance yourself, but, like taking babies to a pediatrician for their annual check up, the same thing applies to your sewing machine baby. The Bernina tech in my area says if you're taking good care of it in between service checks by him, every 18 months should be good, unless the machine is getting some seriously heavy use, then he recommends once a year.
    Yes, this is what I TRY to do with my Berninas. I oil it about once a week. I almost quilt every day.
    Old 07-04-2014, 06:24 AM

I use the small brush that came with my machine to clean the bobbin area every time I change the bobbin. I oil the bobbin every so often, depending on how much I've used the machine. Otherwise, I take it in to the repair shop once a year for a general tune up.
    Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM

I have been advised that the oil is impregnated into the working parts of the computerized machines. Therefore you shoul best have them serviced professionally. However, I do all of my manual machines myself. Regular cleaning and maintenance on all types should be the way to go, I would think. The machines cost as much as a car so I take as much care of them.
    Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 AM

I try to remember to brush out the bobbin area every change, but it is usually every two or three bobbin changes. I also take my vacuum cleaner hose and vacuum the area periodically. (I am always amazed at how much lint comes out.) I usually oil when the machine starts to get noisy. My manual cautions against over oiling. My machine has been professionally serviced twice in the 10 years I have had it. Once was at the end of the warranty period and it was free, the other time was when it needed a repair.
    Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM
    Power Poster

I would never oil my sewing machine myself, mainly because I have a computerized machine and haven't a clue where I would oil it. I try to clean out all the lint from around the bobbin case and underneath it frequently, but when the machine doesn't sound quite right, or I can't get good stitches, she goes in for a check up and a check.