Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How is this quilt made? >
  • How is this quilt made?

• How is this quilt made?

Old 07-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Although I like to recycle I don't recommend re-using the dryer sheets since the residue may affect the fabrics years from now. As a retired Nurse Practitioner I have to warn that if someone has medical sensitivity to the chemicals no one would suspect dryer sheets hidden inside the quilt. A person might have sneezing, coughing, or skin rashes leading to unnecessary tests and treatments. Imagine recovering from surgery and having the pain of coughing and popped stitches! I don't know how many washes it would take to completely clean the polyester scrim of the dryer sheets. I use clean sheets for a foundation.

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
    Search google, or this site, for "string quilt". I think you'll find a lot of examples and methods. I've used dryer sheets for the foundation blocks, and it works well. Doesn't add much weight.
    Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 PM

I agree that wrapping paper isn't a good choice, although it's because the wrapping paper I use is heavy and would be hard to tear. Plus, it's expensive.
    I got an end roll of unused newspaper from my local paper for free. It's about 4 feet wide and, even though it's the "end" of the roll, there's got to be a lifetime supply of paper there for one family. I use it not just for foundation piecing, but also for packing air pockets in boxes I ship, and the kids use it for drawing/coloring/painting.
    Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I agree that wrapping paper isn't a good choice, although it's because the wrapping paper I use is heavy and would be hard to tear. Plus, it's expensive.
    I got an end roll of unused newspaper from my local paper for free. It's about 4 feet wide and, even though it's the "end" of the roll, there's got to be a lifetime supply of paper there for one family. I use it not just for foundation piecing, but also for packing air pockets in boxes I ship, and the kids use it for drawing/coloring/painting.
    Would used news paper be okay until I go to town tomorrow?
    Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Previous posters on this topic have mentioned using old phone book pages as well as tissue paper. They have also mentioned shortening your stitch length so there are more perforations in the paper and it will tear off easier.
    Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

It can also be done as a quilt as you go project. Here is a tute from our very own ditter.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...lt-t60764.html
    Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hensandchickens
    Would used news paper be okay until I go to town tomorrow?
    Old newspaper is fine, but it has to be at least two weeks old. If you use a newer newspaper, the ink can transfer to the fabric (although I do think it would wash out later). You may have noticed getting ink smeared on your hands while reading a new newspaper! Old newspaper ink won't smear like that.

I would test the newspaper by running a hand across the newsprint to see if any ink ends up on your hand.
    Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM
    Power Poster

I used old worn sheets as foundations...very thin and you don't have to worry about tearing anything off later.
    Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 AM

missouri quilt has a great tutorial on how to make this
    Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 AM

I have made one using yellow pages. Worked fine.
    Old 07-14-2014, 03:47 AM
    Power Poster

Inexpensive muslin or interfacing is what I would recommend. The "foundation pieced on paper" means that it was sewn to either a paper or fabric foundation. Very common in quilt to use up scraps. I like the rectangle look to this quilt. You might want to just draw a center line to guide you to get the same angle that the strips were sewn in the photo. Before deciding, make a test block first. If you use fabric, then you sew from the front. The fabric just gives the blocks stability especially with the bias edges.