Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Kenmore  158  10302   have you ever seen one >
  • Kenmore 158 10302 have you ever seen one

• Kenmore 158 10302 have you ever seen one

Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM

Steve , have you ever seen one ? Last time I saw this one, I dug it out from under a work bench, one leg on the stand is broken, so it's nonworking. Only working machines go in her house,

O she has over 150 treadles and handcranks and doesn't count anything that has a motor on it LOLOL..

about 2 yrs ago I tried to buy that AB Howe, she said No it has to be sold on Ebay. She knows it value better than we do..

I have a feeling it's now in a storage buiding, along with 150 other machines. This lady has almost every thing LOL... in prime condition.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 07-30-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM
    Banned

Not in person. If this person is in Texas or Florida, I may be familiar with the situation. If you search here you can see a few threads I started about my Stockwell Brothers Howe Machines

I'l let it go there so I am not hijacking this thread about Kenmore machines.
    Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Some people refer to these as a Kenmore Featherweight. I've had one for over 20 years that I bought at a garage sale for $25. I consider it some of the best money I have even spent. And I have really used mine!
    Kenmore models beginning with the prefix 158 were made by the Jaguar/Maruzen in Japan and a few in Taiwan.
    It is not really a free arm, but the accessory box folds in to make the sewing surface the width of that little sewing shelf and the far end (which folds down for transport.)
    Did you get the cute little case with the embossed roses on it? When in the case it looks like a little attache case.
    Colleen
    Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM

yes I have the case , I bought this machine new LOL.. as a gift then in 92 it came back to me. fiddling with the bobbin is to much of a pain.
    Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    That looks like a machine I wouldn't mind finding. Right now my daughter is using a full size Wards machine for her 4H meetings. Something a little more portable would be nice.
    Rodney
    Our quilt guild was given one several years ago. It rarely gets used because everyone has their own machine. The stitching is nice, but that attachment drawer that extends out for a bed has a tendency to get bumped off, so gets taped to the bed. As for getting the machine and cord back in that origami clamshell case, I'd rather wrestle an octupus. I wanted one until the times I got stuck putting it away because someone else gave up. They are sleek and stitch well, but I'd just use an oversized bag to transport it. My favorite for taking to meetings is a Singer 301 slant, prefer it to a FW.
    Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 AM

my mom had bought one or 1040 not sure which at a sale but when I inerited all the machines I didn't realize what I had but friend with me had had the same one as her first sewing machine and I knew it would be sentmental to her so Ig ave it to her. sigh. I don't regret giving it to her really but then of course I HAD to find another but the one I bought doesnt' have the accessory box(heck don't even know if it sews LOL!) but it's not here yet to check. at least it wasn't s upper expensive but I haven't noticed them plentiful or easy to find - ebay had one for parts and another missing the accessory box and that one was pricey for missing and sold as-is I thought - $135 plus a good chunk for shipping. for mine it was around $42 for missing the box and not knowing how/if it'll work and since it was goodwill I feel ok about it being a donation if nothing else.

I just love little machines that do a lot and my friend said she had done a lot of sewing-she still quilts and occasionally sews for g'kids

my goal is to get around to trying all my machines. not much time working a crazy work shift but I hope to make my way through a good chunk of them...stuck on 15-90? motor wih belt model - right now love it!
    Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 AM

Recently, I bought a Kenmore portable at an estate sale, obviously well cared for and like new. I tried it out as soon as I got home. DH said it sounded like a good and quiet machine. Took it in for servicing; the technician was very impressed with it. After fiddling around online, I found a Kenmore website which gave the year of manufacture (1977) once the model number was entered.
    Old 04-29-2023, 02:47 PM

Default Kenmore 158 10302 "Mini Kenny"

I have this machine. The one I have, I purchased on Etsy several years ago. It came to me in great shape...however I did have to replace the spool pin ..which I find is a vulnerable part of the machine. Need to be extra careful in retracting it before you place the case on the machine. I have a 1964 Featherweight and in comparing the two machines I think the Mini Kenny can hold its own, plus it does have zig zag capability. I am into quilting so the main use of my machines is in piecing and other quilting jobs. This little machine works nicely.