Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt?? >
  • Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt??

• Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt??

Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 AM

Definitely prewash....it will not affect the way the snipped seam fuzz up later, but will save you any headaches later from bleeding or shrinking fabrics.....I personally wouldn't keep the quilt bagged up when washing, you want the lint to able to get away and a huge flannell quilt will be very heavy and awkward to shake, specially when wet!....flannel is very warm all on its own, so you might want to use 3 layers of flannel and not use batting at all (easier to make and no quilting required)....I think with 24 yards of flannel you should have enough.
    Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 AM

I am not a pre washer in the first place. Just finished a red with solid white chevron with no runs. Tried the new purex detergent and color catchers - use this, no problems. Plus I love crinkles. Moda is a great brand so you can rely on your fabric. I've heard of 1" seams and I've used 1/2" on rag quilts - last time I used 3/4" and that was my favorite. I have washed at home, but I clean the lint filters every few minutes during drying. Good luck.
    Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 AM

I have made several (about 11) rag quilts and NEVER have I washed the fabric first. That is totally unnecessary. After you sew the x thru them and put them together, you have to wash it anyway (at laundry mat), a couple of times is suggested. Do not bother spending your time washing and ironing. This is the type of quilt which is fun to make because accuracy is not important. It's just a fun quilt to make, stress free. By the way, I do put batting in them, I have made them both ways but like it better with the batting. Good luck and have fun. DO NOT BOTHER WASHING FABRIC.
    Old 09-01-2014, 07:32 AM

I always prewash flannel when I use it in a regular quilt but have never made a rag quilt so can't help. Just wanted to add that I would love to see a photo when you are done!!
    Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

I prewash every piece of fabric I bring into my house. Darker sometimes twice and I use the color catchers. I wash in hot water and throw into a hot dryer. It will still probably continue to shrink a little over time but I'm more concerned about fading. Albeit not to say it may still shrink and fade/bleed a little. All depends on the fabric.
    Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM

I am not normally a "pre-washer" but I make an exception for flannels. They shrink more and differently than regular cotton fabrics. When I made the couple of flannel rag quilts that I've done, I pre-washed the flannel. I did, however, wash the finished, snipped, quilt in my front loader. It was a mess but I was no up for going to the laundromat. The washer survived and so did the plumbing.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't wash it at home in a bag. I suspect that the bag will just make the lint adhere to the quilt. The lint will not just shake off of it and you will be stuck with a linty quilt that will take forever to remove all of the fuzzies.