Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Organizing a small space >
  • Organizing a small space

• Organizing a small space

Old 09-11-2014, 04:26 PM

get all the loose stuff into boxes (or if it is still boxed, keep it that way for now). figure out your furniture placement and whether you need more shelf units, etc. Once that is done, then attack each box--definite keepers go into their "permanent place", maybe stuff goes into a "little later" box/stack; and the "only if there's room" stuff into a 3rd stack (I'm assuming you got rid of the "I'm not bothering to move this stuff" pile before you moved--if not make 4th pile). Keep in mind that the last 2 piles need to be as big or bigger than the definite keepers!

I recently saw a showing of "Little Homes" on HGTV (think I have that straight--had control of remote so doing my own channel surfing!) and this couple had made a wonderful table built into the wall--a leaf folded up for regular table to sit at; then you could unfold the top larger for space to machine quilt, and the sewing machine rested in a cabinet that formed the back/wall of the table and had a nifty lift to bring it up so you weren't having to lift the machine. Under the space in the "front" of the table where the machine cabinet was built (the machine shelf was on the side) were deep drawers. All built into a trailer. Very cleaver idea.
    Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 PM

When I"m trying to unpack and organize, I move all the boxes out into the hall and take them in one at a time to unpack that way there is less clutter and you can move around and see where you want things. I also second unpacking things and actually putting them away versus just unpacking everything and having a huge mess in the middle of the floor. Too much stuff in my view overwhelms me.
    Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 PM

My sewing room is 8 x 8 and this is a rental house. I do have a good sized double closet and that is where all my fabric is stored. DH built a couple of shelves under the one that is on top of the hanging clothes rod. I have severely limited what I can actually have.

I use a kitchen rolling type cart for my cutting area. My sewing machine sits in a cabinet that belonged to my Mom. I have a set of storage drawers (plastic type) for scraps and supplies. Again limiting how much I save.

I hate clutter and like having things put away. It is imperative to keep a small place cleaned up or it just gets to be overwhelming.
    Old 09-11-2014, 08:49 PM

I am still in the process of cleaning out a 13'x7' room to put my long arm 12' into, not sure how much else I can fit into it after it's all remodeled but it's looking like I'll still be using my 7'x8' sewing room for most of my fabrics & sewing machines. I guess time will tell..if & well the new redo room is ever done.
    Old 09-12-2014, 03:35 AM

Hello Nini,
    The task at hand can be overwhelming or fun....that's up to you. I hope you start out with everything in boxes or crates or whatever....because all of that should just be in some remote area of your home like the garage or in the far corner of your new sewing space. Beforehand, take the time to paint the room your favorite choice of color. Set up your furniture, sewing table, etc. in the places where you think they will best work for you. This might take some moving about until it feels right for your needs. Dress up your windows with something that suits your taste.
    Now is the time to fill it up...one bag/box/crate at a time! And be sure to take your time. With a new setup, maybe you want to show your fabrics on comic boards. Doing a bit of fussy folding now will make your room look just like that quaint little quilt store you love to shop in! Am I sounding a bit corny? Perhaps, but I've just recently done exactly that, and I couldn't be more happy with the results.
    Take the time to sort your stash by color (mine looks like a very long continuous rainbow on my purchased Ikea bookcases). Lights to darks...another shelf has Hawaiian prints (my personal obsession!) then, 4th of July/Halloween/Christmas prints. It's all about the organization!
    This time you take will all be worth your efforts once it's complete. As for small items like tools, bobbins, shears, etc, I use kitchen drawer dividers to keep those things in check. A pegboard holds my templates and rulers. Shoeboxes in clear plastic hold fat quarters, jelly rolls and pattern envelopes. Our dollar store has a plethora of organizational goodies at reasonable prices. You can choose clear or varied colors. Mine are apple green and turquoise. Have fun with it and let us know how you progress!
    Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 AM

Please don't forget vertical space. It appears on a wall OR on the side of an open metal shelving unit or even maybe of a cabinet or table, or .... I use the sides of metal shelving units to hang various projects or parts of projects or something I don't want to lose track of or a color combination I want to think about, etc. S hooks, clothes pins, clamps, etc. are very helpful here. Also, Command hook sorts of things for walls and other vertical spaces. The hooks hold well and come off while not damaging what they were stuck to. AND it isn't necessary to continually buy new hooks - just refill sticky strips. For the times you reuse the old hangers. (Is that clear? I hope so. Mornings are NOT my big time of the day.)

Please note that doing things this way is not the very most aesthetic method but I can assure you it works. Oh, if your room has soffits, use them too. And consider what a window can do without permanently closing off natural light. Do you get the idea that I am a quilting pack rat, love my sewing space, and have many quilting thoughts going at once? I confess.

Have a good time getting resettled. Emphasis on goodtime.

Pat
    Old 09-12-2014, 04:33 AM

Drat! I forgot to mention that really nifty s hooks can be made out of bits of wire or wire coat hangers.

Clamps are available if you cut them off of the plastic clothes hangers that come with clothes from various places. Some of those places have plastic clothes hangers they are throwing into the recycling bin and will give to you with no charge. (Also very good to use when binding a quilt, those plastic clamps.)

I quit.

P
    Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

I was overwhelmed with every room in the house, but since our computer room
    (8 x11) is our storage room, I took everything out.
    Started with an empty slate and only put back what I really needed.

It was tough, I tell you, to put up with the stuff in the living room for a while,
    but I finally tossed and donated till it's all cleaned up.
    For me - clean is a happy mousie, bc clean is organized.
    Old 09-12-2014, 04:46 PM
    KLO

It always helps to "go up" (shelves on the walls and such) if you can so that you can have more floor space for what needs to sit on the floor. I recently set up a new sewing room also and I took it on as I would if I had to eat an elephant .... one bite at a time ..... as the saying goes. As others have said, take a breathe, work for an hour or so then take a break. It doesn't have to all be done in one day. Also, definitely get rid of what you don't really use or like anymore or have more than one of, etc. It is so hard to get anything accomplished when "stuff" is overwhelming you both mentally and physically. Good luck!
    Old 09-12-2014, 09:32 PM

I agree with KLO...go UP...walls have a ton of wasted space...use shelving, and hooks, and look into those over the door shoe caddy things..they don't have to just go over doors. I also saw a really cute organizer made from fabric that hung on a wall for all kinds of rolled things..stabilizers, etc...google pics of organizing in small spaces..you can adapt a lot of things into a sewing room...if there's a will...LOL