Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • From Don-isewman--?? for anyone, and any suggestions >
  • From Don-isewman--?? for anyone, and any suggestions

• From Don-isewman--?? for anyone, and any suggestions

Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 AM

Don, I've made several pinwheel quilts and have attached the photos. If you are interested in the 3D pinwheel, send me a private message and I'll send you the directions. The first picture is a 3D I did for a little girl. The next pinwheel was my recovery quilt to take to chemo sessions. The blue is a little boy quilt with pinwheel and start.

Good luck choosing what you want to make and blessings on your two little great grands!
    Attached Thumbnails annemarie-pilkingtons-quilt.jpg   alices-recovery-quilt-2013.jpg   misc.-nov.-2013-006.jpg  
    Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie
    put the panel in the ctr and put the pin wheels around as a border.
    pick up the colors in the center panel. Be sure and show us, and
    congratulations!!!
    I like Lynnie's suggestion. You could do the pinwheels in one direction on one of the quilt and then the opposite direction on the other quilt. Just a thought. Congratulation !!
    Old 09-22-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Don, Congratulations-what wonderful news! 2 things for you to consider: this generation of new parents have some unique color combinations and decorating themes for their baby rooms- you may want to have a female relative check with the Mom-to-be. Sorry but we women tend to have a whole language for this kind of thing which your grandson may whittle down to "hmmm I think we're going with green and blue (so which of the 20,000 shades of these colors?) and I think animals or something". So just suggesting, if you were thinking of doing something to be used in the baby's room-more information is very helpful. Now I have a few projects ready to be made for my older son and daughter-in-law's planned on, but not yet a reality babies. So I've gathered gender neutral fabrics for floor quilts, drag around blankies etc. there are lots of great choices online. I have focused on alphabet letters, numbers, nursery rhymes and animals. Can't wait to see your pictures! They will treasure whatever you make for their babies!

Sooooooo true. I am currently helping my oldest danger make a baby quilt for her boyfriends brother and sil. While the colors look great it is nothing I would have chosen for a baby quilt. Thankfully we had a pice of the wall paper to use. Even if you don't match thier theme perfectly it would be great to get in the right tones.

I love the pin wheels allyoop posted particularly. 2 and 3 both would make awesome baby quilts some people want brights, others more muted and they are both wonderful.
    Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by MFord
    I like Lynnie's idea of pinwheels around a panel. It would be cute to get two panels from the same collection, then make one quilt with (for example) a panel, a blue border, blue and white pinwheels, and a panel, a green border, then green and white pinwheels - so they're a similar pattern, but unique to each child. I hope that made sense - getting tired!
    That is what a friend of mine did then in the border she quilted the name of the child so they knew which quilt belonged to what child. You could quilt the birth stats in the borders also. I did a wedding quilt and quilted the brides maiden name in one border, grooms in another, wedding date in third and mr and mrs full name and was very happy with the results.
    Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 AM

Wonderful news. Doubt that I'll ever have great grandchildren.
    Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I find out what the animal theme is and the color theme. Then I find several of the same color to put around animal blocks for a larger than crib quilt as they will outgrow it .. Just my thing tho .. may help you out

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
    Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 AM
    Power Poster

All great ideas and congratulations.
    At 69 I have three Great Grands, 2 Girls 6 & 3 -, almost 7 & 4. The other a boy 15 months.
    Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 AM

How exciting Don. Congrats I think I would center the panel, and use the pinwheels in a second wide border. You know ( center; 1.5 in border, pinwheel border, and binding)
    Old 09-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Congratulations,,,, Grandchildren are such a blessing and a gift from our Father
    Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Congratulations!

I agree with Cybrarian - definitely check with the mom-to-be first, to get an idea of colors. I made a quilt for my first niece, and, even though I thought I had the colors right, apparently I didn't, because it ended up in the closet and I haven't seen it since. Of course, even quilts that don't "go" with their chosen color scheme can still be used as play quilts for when the little squishes are having tummy time. And I'm another vote for lynnie's suggestion.