Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Season Is Here! >
  • Quilting Season Is Here!

• Quilting Season Is Here!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 AM
    Jim

I quilt year round, I despise winter and love spring and summer when the trees and grass are green and flowers are in bloom. I also garden, we have many large flower beds and its relaxing to switch back and forth between quilting and gardening. We also get to enjoy large bouquets of flowers from our yard as we quilt.
    Old 10-09-2014, 01:38 PM
    Power Poster

Even though I have air conditioning, i enjoy quilting in the winter months more. I don't know why. I do smaller projects in the summer and bigger quilty things in the winter.
    Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 PM

. There is a fabric store within a five minutes walk from my house. Today the owner changed the sign to "Quilting Season is Here!". So funny to see you post this today.
    Old 10-09-2014, 06:58 PM

I live in the south where we are held hostage inside by the heat and humidity outside. Thank goodness for the A/C which allows me to quilt or sew whenever I want too. I love the spring and fall because that's when the temps are comfortable enough to get outside and get the summer and fall yard art changed and displayed. I don't like the winter either because we have too little sun and too many dreary days. Seems like the weather pretty much dictates what's on my agenda.
    Old 10-11-2014, 04:23 AM

I live in Wisconsin so this is my quilting season too. I find I am so much more motivated once summer is over. I decided to make table runners as Christmas gifts for all those wonderful people who transport my daughter with autism making it possible for her to live on her own. All finished and on to a couple quilts I will give as gifts also. I'm not sure why the cooler weather motivates me but I'm going with it.
    Old 10-11-2014, 04:34 AM

Yup! It is quilting season here, too. I do piece them in the Spring and the Summer, but Fall and Winter are the time I love to quilt them up. It is so cozy to have a quilt draped over my lap and hand quilt it. Happy fall, y'all!
    Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 AM

I quilt and/or scrapbook year round, depending on what hubby's sports are on TV.....baseball, football, car races. I don't watch. Sometimes I will bring handwork in for "my presence." teeheehee
    Old 10-11-2014, 06:20 AM

I love all the seasons! Toward the end of winter I am ready to be warmer, and toward the end of summer I'm ready for winter. I will say that our seasons here in Paradise, California, are mild compared to some parts of the country. I grew up in west Texas so I know what hot can be.

A couple of months ago we had a gray, cool and breezy day. I had the window open next to my sewing setup, and the cool wind and gray day got me all excited. Maybe it was the smell of ozone, I don't know, but that was my best sewing day this year. Bring on the rain - please, please, please.
    Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 AM

I quilt year around. Winter in Texas and summer in Northern Michigan
    Old 10-11-2014, 06:56 AM

I can relate. I have the garden and yard to tend to during the summer and whatever projects I deem worthy to try my hand at outside. Then when the garden is toast and the canning is finished for the year I turn to the sewing room full time. I do work on piecing quilt tops during the hottest part of the day though. Garden work in the early morning while its still cool and then down to the basement where its fairly cool to work on piecing. Have 5 quilts that need quilted now. As I have a robotic system on my quilt machine, late at night I'll work on the quilting layout using my ProQ Designer program. Print out the layout when its finished and pin it to the flimsy so I know its ready to be quilted. Then on to the next quilt top. In between I try to clean up the sewing room after each top is finished and hung up and get ready for the next creation. I'm usually already looking for the next quilt to try my hand at before I get the one I'm working on finished. I also try to incorporate the scraps leftover to be used in the next quilt. My scrap box is over loaded so try not to add to it if I can help it. As I usually have a couple of quilts on the "TO DO" list, if I find a scrap I think might work I'll throw it on the pile for that particular quilt.