Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Season Is Here! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-season-here-t254984.html)

tropit 10-09-2014 04:10 AM

Quilting Season Is Here!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a season for quilting. It starts about the time the first frost comes, the garden harvest is coming to an end and the World Series is winding down. (Go Giants!!) I don't quilt, or sew much in the summer because it's just too hot up in the loft and I have way too much to do with my big, veggy garden and besides, I really enjoy being outdoors. I like that quilting is a seasonal thing. It gets me excited when I see the leaves turning color and I'm ready to jump into all of those projects that I've been dreaming up all summer. I'm going to kick things off this year by going to Pacific International Quilt Festival XXIII for a good dose of inspiration. Then, watch out sewing machine, here I come! :)

~ Cindy

Quiltngolfer 10-09-2014 04:18 AM

I'm with you. I sew a little during the hottest part of the summer, but I do have a vegetable garden and play golf one day a week. We have the grandkids today through Monday, then it's off to the sewing machine for me. I have three to quilt, and one to finish piecing. Then I can start something new for the winter. I can't wait! Have fun and make lots of quilts.

Doggramma 10-09-2014 05:58 AM

I agree too! There's something about the bright, cool fall days that motivates me

pokeygirl 10-09-2014 06:15 AM

I live in the HOT desert so I mostly stay indoors with the A/C going. I quilt year round. :cool:

Sewnoma 10-09-2014 06:24 AM

It's definitely more comfy to have a quilt-in-progress draped over you in the winter as opposed to in the summer, but I'm a year-round quilter too. I just moved my quilting room downstairs - it was in the hottest corner of the house but now it's downstairs in a room that gets lots of shade so I think next summer will be a much better quilting summer.

I AM very much looking forward to some rain, though! My new sewing room has a large window that faces the street, I can't wait to be inside quilting and watching the rain. (My old quilt room window just faced the wall of the neighbor's house. Bor-ring!)

bamamama 10-09-2014 06:25 AM

I quilt for the public so I'm at it all year long. I find any time I can to fit my own projects into the mix but when it is nice outside I have to get out there and do something different. I never get tired of quilting though.

Boston1954 10-09-2014 06:44 AM

Back home in Massachusetts, my sewing closet was in the basement. We tried to save $$ by not air conditioning that part of the house. There were times I could not go down there at all. I now have a real sewing room with a/c. I am happy that I can quilt whenever I like. Although I do know what you mean by the fall coming, and the desire to work on projects. I love the idea of having several tops done and pinned and then just watching television and doing my hand stitching.

tessagin 10-09-2014 06:50 AM

If you're like me you won't be playing easy music in the background. I would fall asleep at the machine with the hum of the machine, the falling rain and no body around, yep I would fall asleep.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6921320)
It's definitely more comfy to have a quilt-in-progress draped over you in the winter as opposed to in the summer, but I'm a year-round quilter too. I just moved my quilting room downstairs - it was in the hottest corner of the house but now it's downstairs in a room that gets lots of shade so I think next summer will be a much better quilting summer.

I AM very much looking forward to some rain, though! My new sewing room has a large window that faces the street, I can't wait to be inside quilting and watching the rain. (My old quilt room window just faced the wall of the neighbor's house. Bor-ring!)

Jingle 10-09-2014 07:43 AM

I quilt year around, I am not an outside person.

ManiacQuilter2 10-09-2014 08:26 AM

Being disable, I almost quilt every day. Try to iron what I need for the day early in the morning when it is cool. Living in So CA it is like it has been summer for the past year and a half.