Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine debate...help!! >

New machine debate...help!!

New machine debate...help!!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys for all the input! I have the opportunity to buy a bernina 630 for 1500. It has about a 100 hours on it and has embroidery software with it. The lady that has it for sale is in a financial bind so she is trying to offload it fast. Do you guys think this is a good deal?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bkb06 View Post
Thanks guys for all the input! I have the opportunity to buy a bernina 630 for 1500. It has about a 100 hours on it and has embroidery software with it. The lady that has it for sale is in a financial bind so she is trying to offload it fast. Do you guys think this is a good deal?
I'd still make sure the software is up to date and if the bernina uses cards, usb, etc. I'm not familiar with Bernina's but no matter what the machine, the older they get and the older the software its not easy to get the software working with the newer operating systems. I'd even call a dealer and ask thier opinion, you can tell them you wanted their opinion because if it needed service you would want to take it to them. Some shops will only service the newer ones because its too hard to find the parts. Just check it out and go on ebay and see what the going price up there is. I've seen some emb machines with small hoops for alot less than that.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 PM

Bernina DOES support their current and past models. The shop should have no problem supporting the Chicago 7, which they sell to you. That said, I'd rather have the 440 for all types of sewing including quilting. It does require being connected to a computer for embroidery, which is a hassle for some. The Artista 630 can embroider with designs from a USB stick. I have both actually, bought used. They are both solid, wonderful sewing machines. The 630 has some niceties I've come to prefer: the larger, color screen, the smooth-action knobs to adjust stitch length and width, and the security setting, to disable zig-zag stitches when the straight stitch plate is on.

The newer models have improved lighting, but there's currently no 5.5mm stitch width model which does embroidery. IMO, the 630 is the ultimate Bernina, with the most features they ever put on a 5.5mm/CB hook machine. I love it, and wouldn't trade it for any new model.

DISCLAIMER: I don't do machine embroidery. Best of luck in your shopping.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, I actually ended up getting a bernina 630 with the embroidery attachment a few months ago at a really good price. I absolutely LOVE the machine. I'm almost finished with my first quilt top with the machine. No issues what so ever and no regrets. I would buy it again in a heart beat. The machine can do anything I'll ever need it to do and more.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM

Oh, CONGRATS! Isn't the 630 fabulous?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM

It has been fantastic, we had an instant connection lol
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Bernettes are manufactured in Hong Kong according to Bernina spec for this machine. Berninas are made in Switzerland at the Bernina manufacturing plant.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Maniac, I hear that the Bernina 1530 is the BEST machine they have made. Hold on to it. I own a Singer 401A and I will never gt rid of it as it has been a super machine and only been in hospital once since 1959.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

Hi Quilted Sunshine,

I just wanted to say that I have the Bernina 630 and it is a lovely machine. I got a great deal on it here..... I got the machine, the embroidery module and the Bernina Stitch Regulator for the grand price of £2300 (brand new). You are right about the quality of Berninas now... I believe (though I could be wrong) that only models from the 630 up are made in Switzerland any more and I think they have stopped making the 630 completely.

Hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Um, no... the 440 is outdated, and we haven't sold them as embroidery machines for a long time. It's a fabulous machine for sewing, but it's much nicer to be able to download to at usb stick. Really, you don't want to have to be hooked up to a laptop computer to do embroidery. You'd be better off getting a 560. The price on that is around $3,000 with the embroidery module. I would avoid the Bernette Chicago 7 like the plague. A Bernette is not a Bernina. Quality on a Bernette is not any where near what a Bernina's quality is. My Dream machine is a Bernina 630. It takes the usb stick, has an oscillating hook system, and is a very solid, well-built machine.

Good Luck in your search!