Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: debate on bindings

My friend and I are having a debate about which type of binding is better. Bias or straight. I like the straight because it takes less fabric and is much easier to do. She likes the bias because she says it lasts longer.

So, what is the final word on bindings?

Blog Entries
    I like a straight binding on regular quilts and bias on a quilt with curves. However, if I wanted to spend more time on the binding I would always use the bias as it wraps around the edge better. I use a 3" binding on quilts and 2 1/2" on wall hangings.

I use both, depends on the fabric (stripes get bias). I think that bias actually takes less fabric, but never calculated it to know for sure. Once I figured out how to make the bias binding, it wasn't that hard, now. Good luck on your debate!
    Kathy

I actually use straight but prefer bias.

I always use bias...there are methods for cutting it where you can get a lot of bias from a relatively small piece of fabric...I like the looks of it better...

Ditter

Blog Entries
    It makes sense that bias would last longer, but my quilts are lap quilts that get used and abused, so I just put straight binding on them. I would go the extra mile on a quilt that was going to be used more gently :D:D:D

Bias binding naturally would last longer. It's just a little more work to cut. It's also perfect for curved edges.

For normal quilts, I think it's fine to cut the WOF or straight. In my book if you get the binding on you're golden!

Okay, I'll show my ignorance! Why will bias last longer than straight?

I use straight binding, still working on those corners though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    Okay, I'll show my ignorance! Why will bias last longer than straight?
    Straight bindings have the threads of the fabric going straight across, so only a few threads will take the brunt of the wear. Bias bindings have the threads going at an angle, so there's more threads being exposed instead of just a few.

I hope I explained that right, I'm sure someone will correct me!

Blog Entries
    You did Pam...and bias also "gives" more with movement of the quilt...less stress on the fabric. (or that's what I was taught)

Blog Entries
    I've never done a bias binding. Hmm--maybe I should look into this. :-D

On straight edge quilts I don't use bias, but on scallop or curvy quilts bias. Oh and always double fold so the last longer.

Power Poster
    We are talking about the double fold French style?

I like the bias binding - it folds over so nicely

I have an old quilt that is 50 years old and it was bound with straight binding. The binding is worn but I figure if it lasted that long it is plenty good enough. I don't like bias because it likes to "rope" when you turn it to the back if it isn't absolutely straight. I would use bias on curved edges, however.

Banned
    Straight or bias is a personal preference other than for curves then bias shold be used due to it's stretchabilityl

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I have an old quilt that is 50 years old and it was bound with straight binding. The binding is worn but I figure if it lasted that long it is plenty good enough. I don't like bias because it likes to "rope" when you turn it to the back if it isn't absolutely straight. I would use bias on curved edges, however.
    LOL I figured the quilt would last longer than me so it really doesn't matter which I use.

My mother and I ran a custom drapery business for most of my life and we used bias for everything. Maybe that is why I don't want to have to use it now!

Never mind. I asked a question, but then I read the other responses and got my answer, so ignore this.

I like regular binding. Unless there are lots of curves.

I use both. If I just want to get one done and looks don't matter all that much, I use straight. If I am doing something that I want to look nice I use bias and miter the corners. I don't miter on the straight binding just run the end binding over the side binding. Of course the "looking nice" is my quilts I have seen straight binding that looks better than my bias on other quilts.

Blog Entries
    I like and use both, but now that I've learned how to cut the continuous bias binding...I'm using it more due to less seams in the binding. For some reason my seams always want to end up in a corner and I have to rearrange laying out the binding a million times to prevent that. You just can't miter a corner with a darn seam in it!

I prefer straight binding, you are stitching it on a straight line. Why would you need bias? I don't know why one would wear better than another.(?) Bias binding would be used on curves. Each binding has a use depending on the quilt top.

Blog Entries
    Straight for the border and bias for the binding, of course. I like to match the binding to the last border fabric.
    Sometimes I just fold the last border in and do a knife edge with a 5/8 in. seam. I like this look.

I use straight binding when the side of the quilt are straight but I use bias if there is a curve on them. They both have their place.

I prefer bias but sometimes am to lazy to make it. It does really give a fun twist if you use a striped fabric to make your bias binding. It also uses less fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast