Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stencil cutters >

Stencil cutters

Stencil cutters

Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SLWoodley View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for cutting one's own quilting stencil? Has anyone tried the Clover hot tip knife?
Gotta ask! What sort of "quilting stencil" are you asking about? If you are talking about a pattern to follow when you do the quilting on a completed top--------it's very common to make your own.

Take a piece of fairly durable "stuff" like maybe a manila folder . Draw the pattern you like. then take the folder to the sewing machine, set at your longest stitch length and sew --------sans thread---------------to make holes in your folder to use to mark on your quilt top.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I have used the clear page savers for binders. I have the double blade stencil cutters (Xacto knife). Heated those up against one of my irons. made it just warm enough to cut through and didn't stink the house up.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 AM

Stencil Company has it online and they have the double blade stencil cutter.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Take a piece of fairly durable "stuff" like maybe a manila folder . Draw the pattern you like. then take the folder to the sewing machine, set at your longest stitch length and sew --------sans thread---------------to make holes in your folder to use to mark on your quilt top.
You can also use template plastic sold in Joann’s or similar stores for cutting out cutting templates and do what Grannie described. Use a large needle and keep it special for this purpose.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Not sure if this will apply for you, however, there is a class on Craftsy and I believe it is called "dot-to-dot quilting. I believe the theory is to make dots rather than lines and then follow the dots. I have tried the heat tool; no success. I have used a craft knife and made ONE stencil. It took me forever, however, it worked well and I still use it! I like the idea of more holes and more dots. Will try this one myself. Such a good question and great answers.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I haven't heard of anybody cutting stencils. I bought a double Xacto knife but the results came out not usable.
Same here. Never tried it again.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I bought a double Xacto knife but the results came out not usable.
Same here. Never tried it again.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:01 AM

I have found the DBK plastic from The Stencil Co to be the easiest to cut. They also have the only double blade knife available. Xacto and Olfa knives are no longer manufactured. However you might be able to find the knife in craft and hobby shops.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:24 AM

I have had experience with stencils, cutting them for the intricate designs on Hitchcock style chairs. This for the purpose of rubbing bronzing powder into tacky varnish. I used a single blade xacto knife and small manicure or sewing scissors. The curve blade scissors was helpful. This was cutting from a similar stiff placticized cloth.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Gotta ask! What sort of "quilting stencil" are you asking about? If you are talking about a pattern to follow when you do the quilting on a completed top--------it's very common to make your own.

Very clever!!! I use Manila folders for templates but never thought to use them to create stencils. Awesome idea.