Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who can draft? >
  • Who can draft?

• Who can draft?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:16 PM

I saw the block but your visual aides are fantastic. Bet Crystal can make it using your help. Love how fast everyone is to jump in and help.
    Old 12-03-2014, 07:22 PM
    Power Poster

why are you so scared to try and draft a quit????
    If it's not right, throw it out. Don't be afraid of
    drawing something on paper. it's no big deal.
    Just try it and go for it. estimate the sizes and if you're off add borders.
    Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Well said Lynnie....

I know lots of folks have and love computer programs....but i find the "tactile" use of pencil and graph paper helps me "think" better......that...... and i'm old and hard to retrain!!
    Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Great directions! My problems is picking materials that go together for something like this. I end up with a busy quilt!
    Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    Well said Lynnie....

I know lots of folks have and love computer programs....but i find the "tactile" use of pencil and graph paper helps me "think" better......that...... and i'm old and hard to retrain!!
    Ironically, I do find it easier to draw out a block on paper. EQ is very specific on what it will let you do and not do when drawing out blocks. I work on a laptop and my skills on the touchpad are really bad. I have a very hard time with EasyDraw, which lets you draw much more ornate and complicated blocks. I usually use PatchDraw which is much the easier one for me.

In order to draw a block in EQ, you have to be able to recognize what the block really is. EQ has made me actually learn more about block structure and the sewing of it. I have used the method of drawing lines on a picture to find the block. Once again, I take the lazy way out and open the picture in Paint and draw the lines there.

EQ has no directions for the sewing, just the view of the block and the ability to print out templates, rotary cutting instructions or foundation piecing. It is really neat to design a quilt quickly and be able to see the results. I enjoy these little projects. I learn something with each one. I, also, do the DoYouEQ Challenge each month. My quilts are not near up to the level of the experts. The real benefit is that if you enter in the Challenge, you get a copy of all the other really nice quilts. Sometimes, I can't figure out what they did when I am looking at their EQ files. For me, so much to learn, but I'm working at it.

Happy Quilting to all. Barb
    Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

I took drafting in college and was very good at it but give me my EQ7 any day and I would rather draw on it. As previously stated, you can make this simple quilt two ways. Decide the size of the rectangle you want then decide on the sashing size. Surprise there was no name on this quilt. Looks like something that would be made by Jenny Doan.
    Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 AM

WOW!! As a newbie to the board, what an amazing number of responses to someone's question! I can't believe how lucky I am to have stumbled onto this board!!!!

To the OP - I've only ever sewn one quilt from a pattern, the rest I've simply looked at pictures and devised my own pattern. The trick, as people have said, is to look for the "repeating block" ... Once you have that, it's a piece of cake!

Paper and pencil are awesome! Once you've drafted it sew a block with scraps and see how it turns out ... then you'll know if you want to adjust once of the "pieces" from 2 inches to 3, etc.

Have fun!!!!
    Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 AM

Would be very easy with strip sets for a large quilt, thanks for the idea!
    Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    Ironically, I do find it easier to draw out a block on paper.
    That's me, too, and I think I'm more creative with pencil and paper too. I usually start on graph paper, then when I'm happy with my overall design I re-create it in EQ and play with colors. Some things I still can't figure out how to make in EQ though; for those I go old-school and trace or photocopy my original pattern and then get out my color pencils.
    Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    Well said Lynnie....

Agreed!!!!!! This may or may not help!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]501248[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails squares-w-alt-corners-block1-6x8.jpg  

Last edited by AZ Jane; 12-05-2014 at 07:30 AM.