Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Q20 >

Bernina Q20

Bernina Q20

Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 PM

I saw a Q20 in Spokane, WA on Monday. Price was $9,999.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I don't think there is any need to guess that it will be pricey.
It's not due out til May 2015, in the USA .... for Canada, no idea whether we will get it then, or later?
So I doubt there are any prices available yet.

If you are wondering about prices, I would think that you could start with the competition pricing, for an idea.
I was back in Canada for a visit in January and popped into the LQS in Kanata (Running Stitch). They have the new Bernina Long Arm in the shop. You can rent time on it or have them do your quilting. I didn't ask how much it is selling for.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

OhCanada ... (note the Canadian red!!! ) Great store to get to visit when you are home! Don't know about the LA price, but I did see the sit-down version last summer and it was well over ten grand. There were some features about it that I really liked. However, there were some that I really questioned as being positive and perhaps may be problems in the long run.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-10-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 PM

My local shop has both the Q20 in the table and the Q24 on a frame. I am dreaming of the Sit down one. I played with it a bit at Road to California and she is beautiful and smooth and I love the stitch regulator. I had been looking at the Innova sit down but the desk on the Bernina is far superior as well as there are no dealers close by for the Innova and I have a Bernina dealer about 10 miles down the road. The price I was quoted at Road was $11,500 (show special) Not sure what kind of deal my local shop will give. They occasionally have fabulous no interest financing offers that sound really nice

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 AM

i have been looking at long arms for 2 years now. I just ordered the Bernina Q 20. the quilting quality on this machine is the best I have seen and Bernina quality is the best all around. They have it all in this machine. I had a sweet sixteen. glad to get rid of it. This Bernina Q 20 is the Cadillac of any affordable quilting machine.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:58 AM

I just bought the q20 sit down. it is fabulous , way ahead of the sweet 16.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by the threaded needle View Post
I just bought the q20 sit down. it is fabulous , way ahead of the sweet 16.
I just bought a Q20 - it will arrive on Saturday and I am beyond excited about it! I test-drove as many sit-downs as I could get my hands on for 2 years and this was the only one that made my heart really go pitter-pat. The price is high, but I believe I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Now that you've had yours a couple months, how do you like it?

Any other Q20 owners around? Anybody find any quirks I should know about, or do you have any tips to share?

I'm really looking forward to doing ruler work on it. I did some at an expo on one and just loved every second of it. So easy, and it turned out so precise! It was pure fun.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I just bought a Q20 - it will arrive on Saturday and I am beyond excited about it! I test-drove as many sit-downs as I could get my hands on for 2 years and this was the only one that made my heart really go pitter-pat. The price is high, but I believe I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Now that you've had yours a couple months, how do you like it?

Any other Q20 owners around? Anybody find any quirks I should know about, or do you have any tips to share?

I'm really looking forward to doing ruler work on it. I did some at an expo on one and just loved every second of it. So easy, and it turned out so precise! It was pure fun.
congrats on your new machine
Old 07-26-2017, 04:10 PM

I've had a Q20 sit down model for a couple of years. I love it. The tension has always been great, and it doesn't seem to be too picky about thread. What I discovered is it likes universal needles the best. The bobbin is a tad tricky to get in the exact right place so that would be something to be extra careful with. A couple of times it was a little off and I had a hard time getting it back out. Also, I was told it needs a drop of oil every day. Check the on-screen tip on exactly where to put the oil as the book instructions are hard to figure out . Have fun! I just started using rulers and it's going pretty well.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Universal needles? I'm surprised, I expected it to like topstitch! I think I just got rid of a bunch of universal needles too, I don't normally use those. Figures!

Do you bother with titanium needles? I thought the higher speed might mean a titanium needle would last better, but they're so much more expensive than the standard Organ needles I buy (about $1.25 per needle vs about 10 cents) that I'm not sure the extra longevity would actually translate to any savings. Might be more convenient to change the needle less often, I guess, but that's not really hard to do.

Thanks for the tip about the bobbin, I'll watch for that. Do you use pre-wound bobbins in yours? I picked up some Fil-TEC pre-wounds yesterday to try them out in comparison to what the machine will wind. I've heard that a lot of pre-wound bobbins have more consistent tension than what I'll get if I wind them myself - do you notice any tension issues with bobbins you wind yourself?

I'm still working on making space for that mondo table it comes in. I'm surprised at how much "stuff" has accumulated in my sewing room, too! That room is definitely overdue for a deep cleaning and thorough reorganization. It's going to be really cramped with the new machine, so I need to get rid of as much "extra" stuff as possible. DH doesn't know it yet, but I've started taking over the hall closet, LOL.

Oiling each time I use it won't be too bad - I am aware that's required for this machine and I have several vintage machines that I oil every time I use them anyway, so that won't be too hard of a habit for me to get in to. I think it's pretty cool that the machine has built-in videos for how to do everything. Clever!