Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: q20 thread

q20 thread

If you have a q20 what kind thread do you like. I am trying aurifill but it keeps breaking. New with this machine so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Judy

I love Aurifil for piecing but I find it too weak for quilting. Even with piecing I do get some breakage with Aurifil.

Any machine as expensive as a Q20 should be able to handle any thread you throw at it. So I will offer my opinions but I don't have a Q20, I quilt on an Innova 26" that is rack mounted. My domestic is a Bernina and I have also used some of these threads with my Bernina with no issues.

What type of thread to use depends entirely on what look you are going for. My usual go to thread for quilting is Glide 40 wt polyester but it is a very shiny thread and you may not like that look. If I just want texture to show and not the thread I go with Invisifil which is a 100 wt poly. It is very fine like silk and also like silk very strong. It sinks down into the fabric so isn't as noticeable.
    Poly threads that have a matte finish that I have had success with are Superior So Fine and Bottom Line and yes, I have used Bottom line in the top.
    If you prefer 100% cotton Connecting Threads cotton is nice but it can be very linty. King Tut by Superior is also a very popular option. Especially if you like working with variegated threads. King Tut does also come in solids. You should try experimenting with lots of different threads to see what you like. Superior offers "try me" spools in just about all their threads. You can't choose the color but you get a steep discount.
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/quilting-threads

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Aurafil is probably too weak to use on a LA. I prefer SoFine #50 or Omni (both Superior) most of the time. If I want shine I go with Glide or sometimes a Marathon that is same weight as BottomLine. I can use King Tut but frankly don't like the lint and prefer a finer thread look.

I don't know about the Q20, but on both of my Bernina DSM's I've had to loosen the top tension with some thread so that it doesn't break. What thread did the deal recommend?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

The Q20, I believe, is the sitdown Bernina?

I can't speak for it, but I have used Aurifil with my Sweet 16, a similar machine.

Thread breakage makes me think that it could be a tension issue.
    Or that the machine is threaded wrong?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Try a larger needle. I've even had to go to a metallic or top stitch needle to stop the shredding and breaking. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I often use Glide or Isacord for FMQ on my DSM and since the Q20 is a sit down...you might give one of them a go. I’ve also learned recently that a larger needle is helpful too. Good luck.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have a Q20 and it isn't picky about thread at all. I wonder if your thread is old and maybe weak. Or maybe it's the needle - the Q20 prefers a universal needle. My preferred thread for quilting on my machine is the big cones of Superior polyester thread because I like the thread to blend into the quilt more.
    Lori

I owned a Gammill Classic Plus for 14 years. The thread my dealer suggested was the "A & E' Perma Core- I bought in 6,000 yd. cones, but it is available in 3,000 yd cones. It is Polyester wrapped polyester, TEX 30.
    Never had a problem with it that wasn't 'operator error'.
    From experience, you may need larger size needle, re thread- don't just tie another thread and drag it through as it may be threaded wrong. Your tension maybe off as others have suggested.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

thank you all

Aurifil is 50 wt 2 ply cotton. Thinner for piecing.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Me personally i found aurifil to have a lot of breakage wont touch rhe stuff. Anything superior is great, isacord, glide. I prefer poly but if i need cotton superior king tut is truly superior like the name of the company
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have also used wondefiil threads on the q20
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante