Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy? >
  • Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

• Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM

I love the fabrics that you bought! if you are going to use them all in a scrappy quilt (probably more than 1) I would look for a backing or 2 that looks good with what you bought. At that price I would also think about what colors I like to use and get some backing in those colors
    Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 AM
    Power Poster

Nice fabrics! I would get a couple of yards each in neutral colours for backs. I might also stock up on staples for scrap quilt backgrounds, maybe cream, white and black?
    Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't get specialty fabrics like minky unless I had a specific project and size in mind. There will always be a great sale somewhere.

Originally Posted by quiltstringz
    I love the fabrics that you bought! if you are going to use them all in a scrappy quilt (probably more than 1) I would look for a backing or 2 that looks good with what you bought. At that price I would also think about what colors I like to use and get some backing in those colors
    Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 PM

I tracked them down based on the name/location. They have a web store! http://www.thefabricoutletonline.com...tore/store.cgi

Yay! I'm off to shop! Thanks for the heads up on the store!
    Old 03-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Don't be afraid of buying 4 yards or more of one fabric. I use these for backings, borders and have even been known to use yardage as a tablecloth in a pinch. Just today I had to seat 16 for a brunch and needed to place 2 tables together. Tablecloths don't come 8 foot long but yardage does! Just pick neutrals & you can't go wrong. If you love it buy lots, if you just like it a lot buy a yard. At these prices buy as much as you can afford.
    Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 PM

I always buy 2-3 yards of wide backing in pale neutrals when it's on sale. Then when I need a quilt quickly I don't have to piece a back. Neutrals go with most every thing.
    Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Notwendy, I asked about their online offerings and they are just starting to put fabric on there. They said by the summer they should have most online. Right now it's about 20%.
    Old 03-11-2015, 05:47 PM

I live about 50 miles from that store. I do not think that their quality is the best, so rarely buy anything in there, unless for a charity quilt. Almost across the street is Hancocks Fabrics. About a mile down Glenstone is the Quilt Sampler, one of the nicest quilt shops in the area. A few miles down Sunshine is "Merrily We Quilt" so something like that - also a very nice quilt shop. HTH
    Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 PM

NikkiLu, I agree that not all of the fabrics are high quality but there are many that are Michael Miller and Robert Kaufman and similar. The benefit of seeing them IRL is seeing the quality. I haven't been to either of the LQS, but still have 2 days left. It will be hard to pay full price though after the bargains I've gotten so far! :P<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 PM

If I'm just randomly shopping for fabric and don't have any particular projects in mind, I will first of all look for blender fabrics in the colors that I know I'm short on at the time.

Then I'll check out the black/white & white/black fabrics as I really like black & white with red or bright.

And of course if they have batiks I'm likely to have entirely too much fun!