Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Wait >

Don't Wait

Don't Wait

Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Im so sorry to hear of your friends loss of sight. Thanks for the reminder that we are not invincible.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:48 PM

Yes I have to agree. I had a health scare a couple of months ago and the first thing I thought was "who will I give my stash to".

When I have the time now I am sewing like crazy.

Best wishes to your lovely friend.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:19 AM

Truly a difficult loss for your friend... I bet she is comforted by your friendship and the fact that you will put her supplies to good use.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Sorry about your friend. Maybe you can make her a special quilt with her fabrics. My BFF had a massive stroke and passed away 5 years later. I "inherited" some of her stash - after her husband spent 2 days burning her fabrics, etc. after she finally died - I have written this story on here several times. So sad. All that I rescued was fabric that he missed in two of her closets that were in boxes and totes. He burned everything that was on bolts in bookcases in her sewing room.
A guild member passed away and her husband started burning all her fabric and even the quilt tops she had made. Said he was tired of the mess, no family member wanted any of it. A friend and I happened to drop by to take a card and he was out in the back burning. We were both shocked. My friend started to cry and he said well come get it, but take everything in one trip. I don't want you in and out. The member that died had told us he promised to give the guild her fabric and supplies but there he was burning it all. So mean and he seemed cheerful doing it.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:20 AM

A member of my quilt guild had the same disease with her sight. She had several quilt she would show at every quilt meeting. When this happened, her quilts changed, to different colors and designs. They were still beautiful. Last summer her daughter came to our meeting and showed her last quilts hen she not able to come to the meeting. She passed away a few weeks later. We were all touched by her loss, but will always remember her beautiful quilts. I believe the same as several on the board has mention. We cannot control our future.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

My quilting friend told her DD that everything in her quilting room would be hers. The DD promptly said well if it is mine to deal with I'm burning it. My friend laughed but I thought I believe she would do that. I have it in my Living Trust that any and all sewing related items in my procession will be given to the local guild to sell after my DDs have taken what they wanted. My goal of course is to be elderly and not have anything left but a quilt to keep me warm.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 AM

I am currently in the same boat with macular degeneration. My vision in the right eye is practically useless and to read a newspaper I need an Ott light and often a magnifier as well. I can still read with my Kindle because I can enlarge the print and it's backlit. My daughter is working on getting all my quilt tops quilted for me. I still hope to make a quilt or two but I will have to use large pieces and I have an automatic needle threader on both of my good machines. I cannot see if the needle has an eye so that is necessary. I also have a little spot light that I installed on my machine and I can head it right to the sewing area and that is very helpful. so I haven't given up yet, but it has sure slowed me down. I also discovered that the Superior Thread co. makes topstitch needles with eyes that are twice as large as ordinary and they are titanium coated so you don't need to change them as often. Just got two packs yesterday in the mail. I'm coping The plan is to do all I can, while I can, with what I have. Then we'll move to plan B.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I work with a lot of women and they are always amazed that I quilt. This group is of the kind that say "When I retire", when I this and when I that. When I ask them what kind of things they do, the answer is always nothing. They either think they have no time or space or could never do"that". It would be an awful way to live for me.

It makes me a little sad that they have never found how to fill their lives with beauty and are just waiting for the right moment to start doing something, which they never will.

The right time is now to do the things you want to do. Live like there is no tomorrow. Fill it with love.
peace
Well said. Recently, someone was looking at my wall hangings. I told her it is my therapy and I love sewing and how much it did for my psyche? She remarked some people have nothing to do with their time. I had to think abt that.....but yes, so true and sad....they are missing out.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
I recently was gifted several thousands of dollars worth of material, rulers, and other quilt supplies from a friend who lost her sight due to macular degeneration. We met and became close friends as a result of meeting via this quilting board. While I certainly delighted with the good fortune, I am very saddened by my friends loss of sight, and how her life will change. Recently someone posted about choosing your last five quilts you would like to make. This is such timely advice! It really hit home. Please don't wait.
Thanks for sharing. Gives us a lot to think about and to grateful for.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 AM

A friend of mine recently told me the same thing, I think I better take all of this to heart and finish all my unfinished special quilts and look for homes to finish the others. My Grand daughter has informed my that all my sewing things are hers when I "expire" however I do have more than one grand daughter. Thank you for reminding me of my priorities.