Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone have a laser fabric cutter? >
  • Does anyone have a laser fabric cutter?

• Does anyone have a laser fabric cutter?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:48 AM

John Flynn and Laundry Basket quilts and just recently Judy Niemeyer offer laser cut shapes, and some of the catalogs offer them with fusible on the back. So I'm guessing the machine would be a major investment only cost effective for a business.
    That said, I'd say the same thing about a long arm and big Gos and look at all the people here who have them, very happily, just for their own use.

Interesting topic, all keep watching.
    Old 06-20-2015, 09:13 AM
    Power Poster

I knew someone who had a Brother Scan & Cut but she sold it. It mostly cut applique pieces.
    Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 AM

I have a silhouette cameo and I haven't used it much, but I belong to a group and the girls there are all in love with them. It hooks up to your computer then you put the shape you want to cut onto "the page" you can cut as many as you like and flip them around etc. If you want 10 of the same shape from the same fabric you would place 10 on "the page". You then put your fabric onto the mat that comes with the machine and run it through the silhouette. Most of them a similar. Some you can scan right to the machine. However, there is a big difference in price.
    Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 AM

I have the Brother Scan n Cut CM550DX which I find very good. It is simple to use and will cut nice letters as well as shapes. I am able to scan my own drawings and cut them out, plus much more. However, it uses a blade, not a laser.
    Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 AM

We have 2 industrial lasers for cutting and engraving. We cut fabric for applique in my embroidery shop.

Besides the laser you would need software such as CorelDraw or AutoCad to create vector files for cutting. You would also need to connect it to a ventilation system since cutting materials creates smoke.
    Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 AM

.....hmmmm, wondering...would the brother scan product cut EPP templates on paper....like if I drew the template, would it then print that multiply times onto a sheet of stock or would I have to draw the whole sheet for it to print it. I am looking for a way to "do" my own templates for POTC......without hand drawing all............
    Old 06-22-2015, 04:36 AM

With the silhouette you would just copy and paste as many times as you like to fill the page before cutting. Not sure about the scan & cut.
    Old 06-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I knew someone who had a Brother Scan & Cut but she sold it. It mostly cut applique pieces.
    So not true, it cuts almost anything.
    Old 06-22-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    .....hmmmm, wondering...would the brother scan product cut EPP templates on paper....like if I drew the template, would it then print that multiply times onto a sheet of stock or would I have to draw the whole sheet for it to print it. I am looking for a way to "do" my own templates for POTC......without hand drawing all............
    You draw or scan a pre made design into the machine, save it. Then you can pull it up, edit, resize or even have the machine draw your 1/4 seam allowance on it, put as many as you want or fit on the screen and it'll cut them all at once. You can even scan your fabric or multiple pieces of fabric in and then place the shapes where you want, great for fussy cutting or just cutting from different fabrics all at once, I love mine. They even have a free online site where you can create designs and then download them to a usb and put them on your machine for cutting.
    Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 AM

Is there a yahoo group for the Brother Scan 'n Cut?