Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone have shoulder pain from using a rotary cutter? >

Does anyone have shoulder pain from using a rotary cutter?

Does anyone have shoulder pain from using a rotary cutter?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 AM

I have returned to quilting after 18 years and have found that after cutting a baby quilt with a rotary cutter my shoulder hurts all night and into the next day. I guess I have cut too many before really noticing it and my shoulder hurts all the time! If I use scissors instead of the rotary cutter, my strips and blocks are not as straight. Any suggestions??
Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I do not cut very long at a time. I cut a little and then do something else and the go back to cutting. My old body does not let me do anything to long at a time.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 AM

I have the same problem.
do a little at a time
I cut for 1/2hr maybe 45 min and then take a break
being sure to do ROM exercises with my arms.
I also got an accucut studio but you still need to turn the crank so I follow the routine.
Don't overdo it!
I got tendenitis in my shoulder last year and ended up getting cortizone injections
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Do you have shoulder problems. It sounds like my DD. I would cut for a while than sew for a while. Give your poor shoulder a break.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM

A Martelli ergo rotary cutter helps a whole lot.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM

Maybe you're pressing WAY too hard?????? Keep your blades sharp and go easy on yourself!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM

I would also make sure that your blade is nice and sharp, I know some people change their blades with each new quilt.... This way, you won't have to push so hard to cut your fabric. How many layers are you cutting at once? Also, check the height of your table that you use to cut, as it may be causing some of your problems. Some like a counter height for cutting, and some like a table height. Maybe try a few things to see what is most comfortable. One other thing, what size blade are you using? Maybe a bigger or smaller blade might help.

I'm not trying to be bossy, or a know-it-all, I just would hate to see you give up on quilting! I don't want you to be in pain!

I hope you find something that works that doesn't cause pain!
~Heather

(in the meantime) *Hands over some cookies* "Take 2 of these and call me in the morning! :lol: :lol:
Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Is the cutting surface the right height for you? I used bed risers to lift my cutting table. My shoulders and elbows give me fits....so lots of breaks and ibuprofen!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM

when i first started quilting my shoulder hurt too, i was pressing down way too hard on it, once i relaxed, the shoulders felt much better.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
I would also make sure that your blade is nice and sharp, I know some people change their blades with each new quilt.... This way, you won't have to push so hard to cut your fabric. How many layers are you cutting at once? Also, check the height of your table that you use to cut, as it may be causing some of your problems. Some like a counter height for cutting, and some like a table height. Maybe try a few things to see what is most comfortable. One other thing, what size blade are you using? Maybe a bigger or smaller blade might help.

I'm not trying to be bossy, or a know-it-all, I just would hate to see you give up on quilting! I don't want you to be in pain!

I hope you find something that works that doesn't cause pain!
~Heather

(in the meantime) *Hands over some cookies* "Take 2 of these and call me in the morning! :lol: :lol:
Didn't read as bossy - read as helpful suggestions I better store for the future :)