Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling your quilts >

Labeling your quilts

Labeling your quilts

Old 06-23-2015, 04:52 PM

I have not labeled more than I've labeled. Two, special family quilts, I cross-stitched labels, another I did with my sewing machine. My kids fuss at me about this also, I've done some cross-stitch pieces that I didn't label, and they tell me I should.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 PM

I label all my quilts...large, small, gifts, swaps, keepers...all of them. I use Printed Treasures, the pretreated fabric (sew-in version) for ink jet printers. My labels include (as appropriate) the quilt title, who it's for, my name, the occasion, the date, and the location. If it was quilted by my longarmer (a friend), I add a separate label with her logo and info, too. For instance:

or

It's relatively fast and easy to add a label and I do mine as the last, finishing touch. Make them as simple or as intricate as you want, or as the occasion merits, but please try to get in the habilt of doing it. Think about that child who will someday be handed a quilt by his mother and told, "They say this was made by your great-great-grandmother back at the beginning of this century, but no one knows for sure." Let them be sure!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 PM
bj

I mostly quilt for family or friends. I sign bj and the year on the back in a corner pretty small. They know who made it for them☺️☺️.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:44 PM

I do label every quilt I make. I make my labels using my embroidery machine and include at least the name of the person receiving the quilt, the date and my name. Sometimes I put more info if it's for a special event, etc. After quilting the quilt, I pin the label in the back bottom corner and sew it on when I sew the binding. I hand sew the other two sides of the label when I sew the back of the binding on. If I'm making the quilt for us to keep, I label it with at least the date and my name.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:06 PM

I label every quilt...who it's for, my name, city and date...also if I give it a name I write that on of course...
Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Often I personalize my labels, but the very least information included is: name of the quilt, pattern/designer info if I used someone's pattern, my name, city, state, date, fiber content ( 100% cotton top, backing, Hobbs 80/20 batting, or what ever batt I used) and care/laundering instructions. The actual labels vary as much as the quilts do, often placed in a lower corner with two edges- bottom, one side- enclosed in the binding the other two edges hand stitched without going through to the top. Occasionally one is attached before quilting. Sometimes I write on the quilt itself. I've placed labels under hanging sleeves, stitched them onto the binding going around the quilt, written them as part of the quilting.... Labels can be as simple or as extreme as you wish.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 PM

I have started labeling mine as some have noted to be handed on to other family members down the road. I handwrite w/fabric pen on muslin patch that I then edge all around w/strips of the same fabrics used on tbe quilt top. Its looks very personal and costs much less than pre printed ones. Then I handsew it on the bottom back corner .
Old 06-24-2015, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

i embroider labels for all of my gifts. for those i keep, usually smaller items, i just use a permanent marker.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:13 AM

Unfortunately I did not label a lot of my quilts but lately have started to put labels on that I embroid. from my machine. Hope to remember to continue to do this.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:16 AM

If I do free motion, I'll add my initials and the year, might also write the recipients name on there somewhere just for fun - usually for a child so that they can look for it. Otherwise, I rarely give it a thought.