Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help--Poly Rug Fibers Melted on Iron Transferred to My Quilt Top! >

Help--Poly Rug Fibers Melted on Iron Transferred to My Quilt Top!

Help--Poly Rug Fibers Melted on Iron Transferred to My Quilt Top!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear, I only know how to clean the iron off. I have a Rowenta so I use the iron clean that is made by them that I buy at JAF. It is a kit with a towel to remove the crud onto and a polishing cloth.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Try this--use a dryer sheet--place on spot on quilt then use heated iron to try to get the sticky stuff off--you might have to pick up dryer sheet a few times. It worked for me when I accidentally put Wonder Under on wrong size of fabric and did not have any more fabric left. It might take a few times but I got all of that mesh off my fabric piece.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Going to say similiar to LoriEl but not kitchen paper use brown wrapping paper. Here in UK available from post office not sure about USA.
Good luck
Old 07-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Dear All (and especially ratherhaverain--do you live in California?!)

I wanted to thank you all once again for your suggestions and to let you know what worked for me. Since I have had unpleasant experiences with greasy residue and Goo Gone in the past, I went the acetone route first, figuring I could always go back and test again with other products.

Using scraps from fabric used in the quilt, I first pre-tested to see how those fabrics reacted to the acetone. As far as I could tell after 24 hours, they didn't--no discoloration, no deterioration of fabric finish, etc.

I then shaved off some carpet fibers and melted them into my fabric scraps. As ratherhaverain advised, some of my test spots took longer to dissolve than others, but IT WORKED! The acetone completely dissolved the stains on the test fabric.

It took me a few days to summon the courage to soak my stained quilt in acetone, but I went through with it, dissolved the stains, and then hand-washed the areas of the quilt that I soaked in acetone and let dry. It's as though nothing ever happened except for a very faint trace of the melted rug fiber on the pale yellow border strip along the 1/4-inch seam line.

I don't know if it made a difference to my successful outcome, but both the border strip (Moda Bella Solids) and the white background (tonal white dots on beige) had been pre-washed and heavily starched during quilt construction. Possibly, the looser weave of the Bella Solids absorbed more of the melted carpet fibers, making it harder to clean, or maybe I just didn't notice the residual stain and therefore didn't soak it in the acetone long enough. It really doesn't matter to me because after resewing the border to the backing that trace isn't visible.

Woo hoo! The quilt and I are back on track to finish (and I am going to test acetone on the blue chalko marks I inadvertently ironed into a beautiful baby dress in the final stages of construction).

THANK YOU ALL to the nth degree.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM

So glad to see a happy ending!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 AM

So glad you could save it!