Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need some advice, please >
  • Need some advice, please

• Need some advice, please

Old 07-16-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    Please explain that if you don't quilt in the embroidered areas it is highly likely those areas will puff out and not give the intended look, but will look quite odd indeed. You could even use invisible thread if that would help, or whatever thread you all choose.
    What AliKat said. I suggest you quilt as they want, with out quilting on the embroidery. Then show them what it looks like. if the areas are small enough they might not puff up. It will he obvious quickly if they will need stitching. You could stitch thru them with a coordinating thread that will not show. I have also tacked them in a discreet area with just a locking stitch to hold them down. Last quilt I did with embroider, I cross hatched right thru them. The owner was surprised they looked as good as they did.
    Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 AM
    Power Poster

Give your client links to these two topics which shows the effect of "before" and "after" in what thoughtful quilting can do to enhance an embroidered block. They don't have to be this heavily quilted but some quilting will definitely make a difference for the better:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t261317.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t262627.html
    Old 07-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Feline Fanatic - the quilting sure made those embroidery blocks looks really special. It added so much. I hope the original starter of this thread looks at those and can convince the owner of the quilt to rethink her request.
    Old 07-17-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    What batting are you using? Some need to be quilted closely; others (such as Warm n Natural, which is needlepunched through scrim) can be quilted up to 10" apart.

One thing you can do, no matter which batting is used, is sew some tacking stitches inside the embroidered blocks.
    Absolutely use some tacking stitches.....several inside the embroidered blocks. They won't show if you match thread and will eliminate shifting.
    Old 07-17-2015, 06:30 PM
    Power Poster

I would do an echo stitch around each motif to keep it in place. As long as your thread matches the fabric that will look nice.