Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question/Opinion >
  • Question/Opinion

• Question/Opinion

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 AM

I love the accu quilt brand and since they now have the electric GO that is where I would start.
    Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Last year I bought the Silhouette Cameo primarily to use for applique shapes and also for vinyl and cardstock. You have to have fusible on the fabric to get a clean cut--but it does a nice job and I can either download shapes/patterns or design them on my computer. I like that I can use it with several materials, but you can only cut one layer at a time and only with fusible on it. I have an Accuquilt GO BIG (electric) cutter on my Christmas list this year---I've come to realize that cutting really wears me out (especially after fracturing my sternum 6 months ago and my knees don't like the constant standing I need to get decent cuts) plus I'm realizing that my piecing needs more accuracy and know that it starts with the cutting. I'm talked to others that have the Accuquilt cutters and they assure me that my cutting, and thus piecing, will definitely improve with the cutting machine--so hope that "Santa" treats me to it (especially if he comes home this weekend from a trip to check out a classic Mustang show quality car with the car!)
    Old 10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
    Power Poster

I might get this one if I did not want to have a crank. http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-big...arter-set.html You can only use Go dies on it.

I looked at that one too but decided for the Sizzix Big Shot Pro. I can use all Go dies on it except some of the newer ones for the electric Go, too wide. I can use most of the Studio dies on it as long as they are not wider then 12 inches and I can use all Sizzix dies. Sizzix dies over all are cheaper then the Accuquilt Dies and I prefer the layout on them. It is also easier to crank. If you do decide on the Sizzix Big Shot Pro be sure to get the one with the extended tray that is for quilting. See link.
    http://www.sizzix.com/product/657600...ed-accessories It is not hard to find them for under $300.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdgEg6WQ8g

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-10-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Old 10-12-2015, 04:44 PM

I have the Brother Scan & Cut. It is pricey, but it cuts almost anything. I use it for scrapbooking, vinyl, paper of all kinds and FABRIC. Fabric needs to be heavily starched, and a brayer used to hold it down, but it cuts beautifully. I even cut cursive words out of fabric for applique work. Very versatile and worth every penny to me. BTW, it also will mark the fabric(put on the seam line or the diagonal) for me. The newer model has a 12 X 24 inch loading mat, but the one I have is only 12 X12 so I am limited in how many pieces I can cut from a fat quarter.
    Old 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM
    Power Poster

my friend has one, I cut out a small quilt and the top piece you put on was so chewed up, we had to get a new one.
    Old 10-13-2015, 04:54 PM

I have the Accuquilt Go and love it. If you decide on the accuquilt, I would recommend getting the strips first because you can always cut squares by turning the strips 90 degrees and cutting. I then started purchasing the half square triangles and then the other shapes. I have some specialty shapes such as the double wedding ring and the hunter star dies too as a whole quilt can be made of these dies. Good luck with whatever you decide.