Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creative quilt labels? >
  • Creative quilt labels?

• Creative quilt labels?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, mine have labels. Usually says the name of quilt, made for __, made by me, and a finish date/year. Don't have emb. machine. Just use a square or triangle on the back with info. Charity quilts get "made especially for you by RW.
    Old 03-15-2016, 07:55 AM

If the quilt is a gift for someone special, their name will be at the top with a message from the bible, the month/year it was given to them and my name at the bottom for who made it. If its a raffle quilt, then I'll put the pattern name of the quilt, the year it was made and again my name for who made it. I make my labels using my embroidery machine. I make them in a triangle shape so there's only one side I have to hand sew down as the other 2 sides will be stitched by the machine when I put the binding on. Anything to save me hand sewing. Also if its for a baby/child, I may add a character in line with the theme the parents have mentioned. I also make up a pillowcase to put the quilt into with the child's name on the cuff.
    Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM

I don't label my quilts, but have been monogramming my name like QuiltnNan does on the green polka dot fabric in her pictures. Just my name and the year. My hubby really gets after me to do so since in his opinion they are "art" and all art should be signed. I am making a quilt for my niece as a wedding gift and I would like to put an actual label on it, that has been embroidered with more details since it is for their wedding. Are there quilters here who I could pay to make such a label for me? If so, please PM me. Thanks :-)
    Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 PM

I like to get the kind of fabric you can run through a printer. After you've got your info on it, add a border or include it in a star or other pattern.
    Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM

I like the idea of labeling, for the sake of those who may find the quilt in the future. I liked the idea of printing the labels, but they jammed in our printer; the other problem with the printed labels was the ink setting procedure sounded complicated (or else I couldn't find any -- can't remember which). So I've just been using a fine point permanent marker and printing as neatly as I can; I usually frame the label with the binding material, or a fabric from the quilt back. I put the name of the quilt, whether it's hand or machine pieced and the date, hand or machine quilted and the date (if there's a big gap), my name, who it's for, name of fabrics and designer if it's mostly from one fabric line, and name of pattern and designer.
    Old 03-17-2016, 02:51 AM
    Power Poster

I label my quilts. If the quilt is for a special occasion , event or person I may make a special, detailed label. If I don't know where the quilt will go, donations, sales, future gift, etc. I put a simple label. Simple ( bare necessities) labels contain name of quilt, my name, city, state, year, fiber content and care instructions.
    I generally design my labels on the computer and print them onto fabric.
    Old 03-17-2016, 03:39 AM

I use Avery.com I choose a size(post card) Blank. Then use mine or their graphics. I print it out on printer fabric. Experiment some on paper first.
    Old 03-17-2016, 05:34 AM

I have a very elaborate quilt label that I trace for special people. Once I have a copy made, I use very fine permanent pens to color in the designs, set the ink with heat and then attach the label with embroidery. l
    Old 03-17-2016, 05:48 AM

On bed quilts, especially, I don't like a prominent label unless there's a special reason for it. I've found that I like to put a short label on the binding using the letters that are built into my sewing machine.
    Attached Thumbnails purple-quilt-label-c.jpg  
    Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM

I also have machine embroidered the label on the bindings of several quilts. One one wedding quilt I put the bride's and groom's names, wedding date and a saying that was included in their invitation. On another I put the same wedding info but added different sayings about love on all sides of the quilt. It was a little difficult getting the spacing right but oh what an impression it made!

I seem to need to do a practice piece every time I embroider on the binding, so that it faces the right way after it is sewn to the quilt Guess I am dyslexic that way