Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Feeding fabric in machine - ends up curved >
  • Feeding fabric in machine - ends up curved

• Feeding fabric in machine - ends up curved

Old 07-07-2016, 04:32 PM
    Power Poster

I wanted to also mention that curving can be caused by holding the strips too taut, especially if the strips are not cut perfectly straight-of-grain. Holding the strips too taut while feeding them to the needle can stretch the edge that is being sewn. The more off-grain the strips are cut, the more easily the edges stretch. Bias-cut strips would stretch the most; that is why they require very careful handling.

I just noticed you mentioned in your original post that the strips were curving towards the right. To me, this indicates feed dog misalignment. If you were holding the strips too taut or if the presser foot pressure were too tight, the strips would curve to the left (because the sewn edge would be longer than the rest of the strip). Other possible causes, as mentioned by others, are that the tension on your threads is incorrect so that the stitches are gathering the fabric slightly and/or that the stitches are too close together. Normal factory stitch length is usually fine for piecing, though, so I would be inclined to blame tension first. It can be that both top and bobbin tension are too tight.
    Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 PM

When sewing long strips you need to alternate the direction of your sewing. As far as letting the machine pull it by itself, that's what the machine should be doing, if the feed dogs are doing their job correctly.
    Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Strip sets will get the curve even with the best of sewing, it's the nature of it.
    True! and you can straighten them out with the iron!
    Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 AM
    Power Poster

This video may help you: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/videos...ong-strips.htm
    Old 07-08-2016, 09:12 AM

If you starch your fabric, that will help, especially if your fabric is cut off grain. I have a really hard time stitching long strips together and keeping them straignt. I finally stopped freaking out over my crookedness and now I am happier! Unless you are planning to enter a quit into a show, it's ok not to be perfect.
    Old 07-08-2016, 10:30 AM
    Power Poster

If you see the quilt show winners, best of show, viewer's choice in a national show, up close they are not perfect. Better than what I can do but not perfect.
    Old 07-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    When sewing long strips you need to alternate the direction of your sewing. As far as letting the machine pull it by itself, that's what the machine should be doing, if the feed dogs are doing their job correctly.
    I agree. No one seems to know why the curve happens, but if you sew up one side and sew down the next strip. There will be no curve.
    Old 07-08-2016, 11:48 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanquilt
    I agree. No one seems to know why the curve happens, but if you sew up one side and sew down the next strip. There will be no curve.

I tried this when sewing my last bargello. Didn't work. The curve seemed to disappear with pressing and after cutting.
    Old 07-08-2016, 11:49 AM
    mac

Thanks, Onebyone, that was a great video. I've always wondered by the curve happens, now I know how to keep it from happening.

Oh, yeah, that and plenty of starch. I do starch my fabric before I cut it, but ONLY the amount that I plan to use. Otherwise, those little buggy critters like to eat the starch sometimes.
    Old 07-09-2016, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft
    It's important to cut fabric straight on the grain, if not you will get a curve, also if sewing 3 strips together, sew the first two in one direction, the join your third and sew in the opposite direction.
    Yes, I learned this in a class a few years ago.