Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plum Ugly Quilt? >

Plum Ugly Quilt?

Plum Ugly Quilt?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:38 PM

I'm for a narrow solid, probably in a dark color, and then depending on the size you want, a matching row of scrappy small blocks as the present border or a scrappy piano key as already suggested.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 PM

I dont want a boarder. I would add another row/column to make larger and put a red or black binding on it and be done.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't add a border, I would add blocks from my stash to make up the size I wanted.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:04 PM

I might do a light grey stop border about 2" wide, then bind it in plum. You might rename it Plum Scrappy because it's not ugly at all! It's a cool scrappy .
Old 09-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

​Great scrappy and I think I would do a solid border the size of the little squares and then a scrappy piano key border.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i would use brown
I agree with QuiltingNan. I'd go with brown. Maybe a narrow colored border and then brown.

There are so many possibilities for this quilt. The more I look at it, I think that a solid border and then a piano key border would be nice.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
It's not exactly what you're asking, but one way to increase the size would be to splice the quilt on the diagonals & add fabric that way. By adding 2 high-contrast colors arranged in a triple strip across the diagonal lines of the quilt, it will draw most of the attention to those lines, rather than to the background you say you don't like. There are many different options for that. I played around with some different options in Paint & there were several that worked, depending on how you want the final quilt to look. Here's one example with a navy I pulled from your patchwork & white (I'd go with a snow white so it works with the rest of your piecing):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558479[/ATTACH]
Or if you're truly set on the name "Plum Ugly" -- you could go with a dark plum instead of the navy. That would also give you some lovely white space in which to do some really striking quilting & again give a new focus to the viewers' attention. If you do the X, I probably would only add a very, very narrow stop border on the outside edge, just so the beautiful scrappy piecing doesn't get covered up with the binding. I'd probably make it 1/2" wide, so that 1/4" was all that showed after binding. I'd keep it a white stop border & bind in the same color as whatever you use for the X.

THIS is cool!!!! (look at the attachment in the quote - i thought it would show up...oh well)

If you were going to add border(s), I'd go to the fabric store w/ what you have, keep your mind open and see what speaks to you. My first thought was navy/black as it would ground the quilt center.

Then i was looking at it again and I like the tangerine/orangey color for some fun.

I really like the way that came out. Go have fun!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I think your sashing makes this quilt so interesting, not ugly at all. I like the idea of making more blocks rather than a border.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Oh, Bree123, great minds and all that!! I was thinking the same idea -- been on a contemporary/modern quilt kick lately!! Except I opted for a bit easier....slice one diagonal, move one piece down and to the side, and add a wide strip of white/gray/black....or plum.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 04:28 PM

I really like your quilt too! I think about any color border would look good. I might add a small white border and then whatever color I wanted. There are so many choices....I am glad I am not trying to make this decision.

Dina